There are newer employer reviews for American Red Cross

Fantastic mission -- but a constant churn of lay-offs and re-structuring without addressing core managment issues

Former Employee - International Services  in  Washington, DC
Former Employee - International Services in Washington, DC

I worked at American Red Cross full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic colleagues who are focused and mission oriented

Cons

The organization rarely developed its own talent for promotion. Very disheartening to see colleagues laid-off after 18 years of service.

May 20, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for your feedback; we agree that our employees are fantastic and dedicated to our mission. Our recent restructuring was in response to the rapidly changing biomedical industry; the Red ... More

702 Other Employee Reviews for American Red Cross (View Most Recent)

Great Internship Opportunity!

Former Employee - Disaster Services Intern  in  Athens, GA
    Former Employee - Disaster Services Intern in Athens, GA

I worked at American Red Cross as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great supervisor for the internship - allowed the freedom to work independently within a flexible schedule.

Cons

There is a lot of time that is spent doing computer/busy work but it is still valuable in a way.

May 20, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, and we are glad to hear that your internship experience with us was a positive one! We always encourage our interns not to be shy when it comes to ... More

Not everything you wish it was

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You are making a difference, no matter what your role.
    Gives you experience on Non-profit culture

Cons

Leadership doesn't listen to its employees
    Leadership does nothing to retain employees
    Compensation is terrible
    Minimum to no opportunities for advancement

Listen to your employees. The company is in financial trouble, however the implementations that are put fourth are not only ostracizing current employees, it's doing the same to new ones. The new hire orientation is now almost completely impersonal with everything is done on computers or via teleconference. The organization that was built to help humanity has lost the human touch. While I'm sure you assume this saves money, it will not save on turnover after the new hires have a sour taste in their mouths from the start.

Constantly employees will voice their opinions on how better to improve the job or culture, however upper management consistently ignores them. You'll be in a meeting with the president of your division and the president will state they want our thoughts, opinions, and questions and will answer them truthfully. All we get is a dance around the question when we ask about how the company is really doing and the current plans of how to keep it on track.

Management also has no faith in its employees. A truly incompetent employee was let go after given multiple chances to improve, and the ex-employee sends an e-mail to a CEO about it. The CEO doesn't make a general inquiry about it to the involved supervisor and manager, they send a whole brigade of HR advisers demanding proof of incompetence otherwise they'll reinstate the unemployed.

Communication is also consistently terrible. In the above issue, the employee and their supervisor work at the same site, however their manager (lower management) works in a different location. Upper management came to ask about the employee in question, and the lower manager did not know much about the situation. This manager did not think it necessary to conference in the involved supervisor of the employee to get the full scope of the problem. Instead upper management and lower management held a meeting all to themselves, not knowing the full extent of the problem and came to conclusions on how to fix the problem, or employee in this instance, without again knowing the full scope of the issues involved.

This company used to be a well respected, terrific place to work at in the early 2000s. Unfortunately upper management fell into a pattern of dealing with new problems in old ways, which causes them to still be under the consent decree with the FDA. They are improving slowly, but it is costing them dearly and much more than they think. They've lost the respect of their employees, and do well at keeping a positive image in the public. Should the public really find out how they operate behind the scenes the company would be in much worse shape.

I will always have respect for what the Red Cross does, their mission, and fundamentals principles (they really do use 91c out of every dollar donated for humanitarian efforts), but as an employee I am highly disgusted with how the company has been operated and how employees are treated.

Jun 25, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

We appreciate your taking the time to leave feedback, and agree with you that our employees make a difference in the lives of others, no matter their role.

Our new virtual orientation was created
    ... More

There are newer employer reviews for American Red Cross

Worked for American Red Cross? Contribute to the Community!