American Red Cross

www.redcross.org
  www.redcross.org
There are newer employer reviews for American Red Cross

Great brand, great people, poor leadership

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Your career is up to you. If you are brave and proactive, there are many opportunities for advancement. If you sit back and wait, or if you fail to seize opportunity, you'll sit in your chair for ever. The organization doesn't grow, so you have to move where opportunity is...many people have been here 10+ years so seats at each level usually stay filled. And, of course, it's the Red Cross. One of the best brands and one of the noblest of missions.

Cons

Crappy senior leadership. The Red Cross subscribes to the idea that the best managers come from private sector. Senior leadership is therefore comprised of retirement-age, ex-executives who don't get along with each other (almost all white males) and each want to build their own fiefdom. Each is convinced their private-sector experience uniquely provides them with the only strategy for "saving the Red Cross"...it's interesting that no executive comes to the Red Cross from the private-sector without professing the need to "save the Red Cross." The result is the rest of the organization competes for resources, and frequently serve as soldiers in years-simmering feuds between this exec and that one. If you consistently excel, you can make it to Sr./Exec Director, if you are lucky but probably not above that. It's a good place to start or finish your career; not the best for mid career.

Get along. Understand that, a non-profit like the Red Cross evolves organically, sometimes from individual moments in its long history. It's not rational. The singular purpose to re-create the structure of whatever monopolistic, for-profit behemoth you came from is akin to a fitting a square peg in a round whole. You do have benefit and insight that serves the Red Cross, but you don't come here with the answer. Also, be honest with yourself as to why you are here. Is it for the mission?

May 22, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for your review and praise for our mission. Although we disagree with your assertions about the dynamics of our senior leadership team, we do believe that the success of the Red Cross ... More

764 Other Employee Reviews for American Red Cross (View Most Recent)

Summer WSI

Former Employee - Water Safety Instructor (WSI) in Erie, PA
    Former Employee - Water Safety Instructor (WSI) in Erie, PA

I worked at American Red Cross part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great job, great pay, well organized

Cons

Backboarding demonstrations were not always done correctly by other staff.

May 30, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for your feedback! We are glad to hear your employment with us was a positive experience. Accuracy in our work is important; we encourage you to reach out directly to your management team ... More

Incredible people and inspiring mission!

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You will never work with better people than those at the Red Cross. They have passion for the mission are supportive, helpful, caring and work extremely hard. Great benefits, 401(k)+match, wellness program. It was inspiring to work for an organization that does such great work in the world!

Cons

Regulated environment does not allow for creativity in some ways. Non-profit...so, there are times when departments are understaffed when funding is short...understandably.

In challenging times, the passionate energy of staff sometimes becomes blocked. Admit when something is not working or when management made a decision that should go in another direction, ask your employees for their input and implement their ideas when possible...and you will most likely unblock the passionate energy that fuels the greatest humanitarian organization in the world.

May 30, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

We appreciate your review! We couldn't be more thrilled to read your praise for our employees and volunteers, and are so glad you found your work inspiring. Because we do our best to provide ... More

There are newer employer reviews for American Red Cross