There are newer employer reviews for American Red Cross

Great organization, Tough place to work

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time

Pros

The mission of the organization is fantastic. They do so much to help others and help save lives that you really feel good abut what you do on a day to day basis. There are also some very good people to work with.

Cons

The organization is going through some changes and there have not been a lot of opportunities to advance. They need to change from a culture of reducing to one of building in order for staff to feel safe and appreciated.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great place to work for.

Former Intern - Intern
    Former Intern - Intern

I worked at American Red Cross as an intern

Pros

- Strong team spirit - Great passionate people - Good training

Cons

- Long hours during disaster times

Advice to Management

Increase the benefit.

Just hope you never need blood.

Former Employee - Donor Collections Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Donor Collections Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The staff was pretty cool. I'm still friends with a few of them.

Cons

The other reviews seem to have the problems with the management structure down. I got a few laughs from those. Thanks guys. My main problem, potentially leading to my resigning, was the fact that they didn't seem to care one bit about the health hazards pertaining to the blood supply. The main factor in that is a combination of poor training and lack of knowledge in senior, supposedly experienced staff. I wonder how many bags of blood were considered "good enough" when I wasn't there to inform my colleagues that the product is, in fact, contaminated and potentially fatal to the recipient. I tried though. I tried to report it to management and attempted to "initiate a problem," but was essentially told that a problem isn't a problem unless it's a "problem." That is, when it's "investigated." The funny thing is, I never saw an investigation or, at the very least, a clarifying memo to explain the procedure to the ignorant staff that refused to listen to me. (Best part: after six years of employment, I ended up with a relapse into a severe anxiety disorder that inevitably made me stop going to work altogether. I got myself some help and attempted to reapply, but have seemingly been blacklisted from any and all Red Cross departments.)

Advice to Management

I see that you respond to reviews on here, so I am going to ask you politely: Please. Look into how the Red Cross runs itself in Philadelphia, PA. Listen to your staff when they have suggestions and take problems seriously.