There are newer employer reviews for American Red Cross

PR Internship

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Red Cross

Pros

Learned so much through my internship with them. Was able to do a mulititude of projects with alot of freedom.

Cons

A little outside of the city

Keep up the great work

675 Other Employee Reviews for American Red Cross (View Most Recent)

Process Control

Former Employee - Process Control Specialist  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Process Control Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at American Red Cross

Pros

The company offers a flexible work schedule.

Cons

There is not a mentorship or advancement program for aspiriing professionals and the environment suffers from group think.

The company should provide the ability to progress internally and offer job shadow programs.

Please don't work for, or donate to, the American Red Cross

Current Employee - Collection Specialist  in  Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Collection Specialist in Manchester, NH

I have been working at American Red Cross

Pros

-you get paid to travel, if it takes an hour to get to the job site, you get that hour at your pay rate
    -coworkers can be fun
    -when it's slow, you get paid to do nothing

Cons

-for a job thats supposed to be non-profit, they sure care a lot about making money
    -management blatantly just does not care about employees
    -rules rules rules rules rules
    -pay is only ok
    -when it's busy, it feels like a constant dinner rush at a fast food restaurant
    -rarely does someone compliment you on your hard work, most people (donors, sponsors, management, donor recruitment, everyone) looks at us like gears in a machine.
    -late ending drive (not home till 10) followed by a start time of 6 AM the next day.
    -drives are constantly understaffed, goals seem to be set unrealistically
    -I'm a male, so it rarely effects me, but some coworkers constantly gossip about each other, and go out of their ways to make each others lives miserable.
    -management tries to get you to work harder by using guilt and fear.
    -constantly given new "best practices" and "corrective actions" to fix an error rate of literally .001% (a "trend" is when 4 or more "problems" are detected in a couple of months, when we can do as many as 4000 procedures a month)
    -staff are treated as children, with constant micromanagement, and tons of rules, by management that has absolutely no idea how the process works.
    - (non-needle/blood bag) equipment is outdated and sometimes downright broken, making the easy part of the job sometimes harder than necessary.
    -constantly told "you're helping to save lives!" to try and make the work experience seem worth it all, but actions speak louder than words.

EVERY employee should have to start as a collection specialist to see what happens at the bottom, so that decisions stop being made by people that don't actually know what's going on. Management should also listen to advice given at practically every all staff meeting by employees that deal with blood donors everyday.

There are newer employer reviews for American Red Cross

Worked for American Red Cross? Contribute to the Community!