American Sales Company
www.indeed.com 150 to 499 Employees

Good place to work in between careers..

Night Stocker (Current Employee)
Lancaster, NY

ProsIt's good for a quick buck and the benefits are good. Pay for a stocker at around 90 days is about $13.00 per hour. There is a pay cap of not much higher then that. However, as a stocker you can earn incentive on top of that. The job is very physical if you're on the night shift, you won't need the gym if you work here.

ConsThere is no job security. They fire long term people who are great workers over small details. I worked in retail for 9 years and worked my way up into management and never got a single 'write-up'. In my 15 months at ASC I've gotten 12 'write-ups'. That means that I'm at the verge of being fired in 4 different categories. AND, not one of those is productivity, I've never once fallen below my required numbers. My write-ups have included someone else signing out a pallet under my employee numbers (yes, everything you stock is signed out and tracked) and a piece of wood left under a cart by someone else. I also received a write-up for not 'fluffing' (cutting an inner case) well enough. There are people who never, ever 'fluff' boxes who have never gotten a write-up for it. There is one manager who is absolutely write-up crazy. He literally calls half the crew into the office for warnings every Friday night. He waits for Friday so that you've worked your butt off all week to make incentive because if you get a write-up, you lose your incentive pay. There is no way to move up in the company if your on the stocking team as just about every single person has write-ups due to that one manager. If you have one, you can't get promoted.
You will never hear that your doing a good job. You'll never hear that your aisle looks great. No one will ever notice any extra little things you do. They'll just watch for that one day there's a box flap left on a cart in your aisle.
The work is hard, in the summer, the warehouse is really hot, especially up in the top of the selection towers. Ladies, you aren't allowed to bring a purse or any kind of bag into the warehouse and your not allowed to get anything out of your locker except for lunch break. You also aren't allowed to carry anything into the warehouse that is stocked there, that includes every brand of tampon and pad. Obviously, there's some days that those rules will be particularly hard to follow.
As far as incentive goes, only certain aisles are actually decent for getting incentive. The same couple of people will always get those aisles. If you do get close to incentive and aren't one of those few, you'll get moved around ten times on Friday night, get 5 minutes of delay time for it and you'll be down to a 90% by the time you leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the workplace fair. If men had 'that time of the month' you'd better believe they'd be allowed to bring in necessary supplies or retrieve them from their lockers without having to call and get specific permission from management. Make the numbers consistent. If your experienced stockers can cut a 140% in 42 aisle but can only cut a 90% in another aisle then obviously the numbers need to be adjusted. Don't try to tell me the numbers are fair when every stocker acknowledges they aren't.

Great benefits, decent pay, hard unfair work

I have been working at American Sales Company

Pros: Decent pay compared to min. wage. Incentive opportunities for fast… Cons: Hard manual labor, unfair computer system, impossible incentive in some aisles, lousy management, quick go write up, and unpredictable hours per day. You can end… Advice to Senior Management: Set up the aisles better and work with employees to… More

Very good to employees - great benefits and fun events!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at American Sales Company

Pros: Great benefits - you will not find another company locally that offers such a great package. The cost to the employee is minimal and… Cons: The work in the distribution center is quite physical and… Advice to Senior Management: Continue to do all of the great things that you… More
There are newer reviews on American Sales Company.

Worked for American Sales Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Sales Company reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by American Sales Company employees.