There are newer employer reviews for American Signature Furniture

Worst place to work for

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at American Signature Furniture

Pros

Honestly, the only reason to work there is if you really can't find a job elsewhere. And I'd be looking for a job somewhere else from my first day there, because they will hire someone else who is willing to work for less than you and give you a few minutes notice to turn in your badge and keys.

Cons

How they could name a company "American Signature Furniture" when we sell furniture we get from Asia is beyond me. The only thing American about this company is the fact that we think it's a good idea to buy cheap stuff from Asia, overlooking low wages and probable human rights violations and resell it to Americans for cheap. People order their furniture and expect it to arrive in a timely manner. When we have a delay, because the stuff is coming from Asia, people are understandably upset. There are furniture companies that promise shipping within a certain time window. We only promise that you will eventually receive what you have purchased, unless of course you don't. If it's discontinued, we convince people to take gift cards to come in and buy something else at a discount, but we still make money. When the stuff breaks, which much of it will, people find out that they will have to haul it back to us for repair unless they paid to have it delivered to their home. If they bought the StainSafe protection, they find out that not only did they not register their warranty within the two weeks most likely, but they also didn't call StainSafe within the five days of the incident, despite the warranty covering a certain time period (look up the Attorney General's investigation on StainSafe). Much of the stuff comes in damaged and we have to send it back. The people who pick up their own merchandise and get it home only to find that it is damaged will have to bring it back to us, wait for us to get them a new one, and then come pick up the new one. They are told that they "should have inspected it at the store." I have yet to see anyone tell the guys, "Wait-unwrap it completely, I need to inspect every inch of this thing and then try to get it home without damaging it now that it's out of the packaging." The fact that they even do business with StainSafe says something about them, as does their high turnover rate and lack of employee support. I felt embarassed to be working here when customers were telling me what happened to their shoddy furniture when I knew that I could do nothing to help them, and management generally would not approve anything that wouldn't make us more money. Despite their assertion that they "understood" that their workers have families, they did not allow me to leave at the time I was scheduled to leave many times. I was told that this was their "busy time" of the day and that I shouldn't have been scheduled to leave then. If this was true, and forseeable, then why was I scheduled to leave then? Why not be honest with me, so that I could plan around my work hours, instead of keeping me later because you're short-staffed? Because of the high rate of turnover, we were always so short-staffed that I was frequently talking to up to four people on the phone at once. If, while talking to three to four people at once, I failed to answer a ringing phone, I was lectured. I was made to feel that I could do nothing right. No matter how many times I did things right, and better than expected, the smallest mistake led to a huge lecture. If I did things according to how they told me to do them, I was told that that was not how to do them anymore and now we do them a different way and I should have figured that out. I felt like I was treated unfairly, like management could care less, and honestly, I would rate them as one of the worst places to work in this country.

I would advise senior management to become a bit more competent. Stop playing so hands-off with your stores and make them profitable. And treat your employees like gold. If you treat your employees badly or underpay them, they are unhappy. Unhappy employees can't devote their full efforts to the customers. If they can't do this, the customers are unhappy. Unhappy customers will not be repeat customers, and you make less money. Try working for your own stores without anyone knowing who you are. If you are unhappy and stressed out doing this, make the changes needed to improve this situation.

reviews filtered by
  1. Job but Not a Career

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at American Signature Furniture

Pros

Fun and effective sales team with good compensation

Cons

Corporate office needs to rethink their marketing. Went from Ashley furniture competitor to Rooms To Go Outlet. Furniture and valve is top rate and at a good value. Sadly this is not represented I their the marketing materials.

Say thank you more and give recognition to top performers.

2. It's been good but could be better

Current Employee - Customer Service in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Duluth, GA

I have been working at American Signature Furniture

Pros

Good atmosphere , good people, decent hours

Cons

Pay could be better for what we're asked to do.

Acknowledge that your employees are very valuable and deserve recognition for the hard work we put in everyday. Everyone isn't cut out to do what we do which means you have a special group of guys. Value our opinions and ideas that we express to make the company run better and not look at them as complaints.

There are newer employer reviews for American Signature Furniture