American Society for Clinical Pathology

There are newer employer reviews for American Society for Clinical Pathology

Interesting work, intelligent co-workers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Society for Clinical Pathology (less than an year)

Pros

Our department/unit is highly collaborative and our director is open and responsive to input. Work/life balance stronger than most organizations; co-workers are generally very supportive of each other... I think the work is interesting and I buy in to the organization's overall mission.

Cons

Under-developed central structure; feel that there aren't enough company-wide processes and there is a bit of a 'silo' effect. Morale seems uneven/ middling, but not sure why as I've been here less than a year.

Work flow processes need to be updated for greater efficiency; greater investment in hardware, IT personnel

33 Other Employee Reviews for American Society for Clinical Pathology (View Most Recent)

Started great, last few years were awful

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Society for Clinical Pathology full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some work life balance, and opportunity to work at a company with a good mission

Cons

Many departments and/or individuals don't get to experience the work-life balance that the company intends to support, because there is a serious problem with some employees having to take on a high work load since there isn't a strong commitment to cross training and employees that should be taking time to learn key knowledge are not held accountable.

Some of the individuals sharing reviews mention they have had opportunity to advance. I can tell you from experience that there isn't a support system for them, or a consistent process to determine how/whether an individual is ready to move into their next role. It is simply guess work, and who is popular for the moment.

The performance evaluation process is awful, subjective and does little to nothing to guide proper dialogue between management and employees.

There need to be some well-known and commonly accessible processes for determining whether someone is ready for promotion, providing support and training throughout the process.

There needs to be regular feedback during the year for employees, not an "performance review" ambush once a year that is offensive and confusing.

Finally, cross training and employee accountability across each department is something that needs to have real commitment. Team work isn't just a fun phrase. Employees need to have the base knowledge and go to necessary training sessions when needed, rather than expecting internal staff to train green staff members "from scratch", that's team work.

Honestly, ASCP is a great place to work. Great benefits, great location, and fun co-workers

I have been working at American Society for Clinical Pathology

Pros

I was promoted after being here for one year. I'm an honest and hardworking person, if you are too, this is the organization for you. Hard work and dedication is recognized and you will definitely get what you give to ASCP - no question about that. Flex time all year is great for work/life balance and upper management cares about my career and helping me succeed.

Cons

Sometimes it takes almost 10 minutes to get up the two different elevators needed to take to our floor. Yea, that would be my biggest complaint...so, again, a great place to work!

Continue to set your employees up for success and promote from within when possible.

There are newer employer reviews for American Society for Clinical Pathology