American Society for Clinical Pathology

Engaged Employer

Interesting work, intelligent co-workers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Society for Clinical Pathology (Less than a year)

Pros

Our department/unit is highly collaborative and our director is open and responsive to input. Work/life balance stronger than most organizations; co-workers are generally very supportive of each other... I think the work is interesting and I buy in to the organization's overall mission.

Cons

Under-developed central structure; feel that there aren't enough company-wide processes and there is a bit of a 'silo' effect. Morale seems uneven/ middling, but not sure why as I've been here less than a year.

Advice to Management

Work flow processes need to be updated for greater efficiency; greater investment in hardware, IT personnel

Other Employee Reviews for American Society for Clinical Pathology

"If you want to be challenged to grow, ASCP is the place for you"

I worked at American Society for Clinical Pathology full-time

Pros

I have worked with ASCP for approximately 8 years and have been challenged to grow professionally and personally every step of the way. Has it all be perfect - heck no! What company is perfect? There have been times when I shock my head and asked why I stay but, at the end of the day, am VERY glad I stayed around. My superiors are not perfect but they really believe in the mission and their staff. Their intentions are well founded. If you want to be challenged to improve your knowledge, work ethic, and leadership qualities - this is the job for you. If you want to just come in, do your basic job, stay "comfortable", and just go home at the end of the day - you may want to look elsewhere.

Cons

Even though they stress balance with life and work, because of the rapid movement of the company and the push to improve patient care and outreach, the balance does tend to get lost at times.

Advice to Management

Continue to push balance between life and work - even the most dedicated staff get tired and begin to resent those "missed opportunities" with their kids/family/personal life. Ensure that ALL Managers enforce "flex hours" fairly. If an employee can truly do their work at home and their are situations making it difficult for them to be in the office 5 days a week - left them work from home. Keep up the great job!!!

Started great, last few years were awful

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Society for Clinical Pathology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some work life balance, and opportunity to work at a company with a good mission

Cons

Many departments and/or individuals don't get to experience the work-life balance that the company intends to support, because there is a serious problem with some employees having to take on a high work load since there isn't a strong commitment to cross training and employees that should be taking time to learn key knowledge are not held accountable. Some of the individuals sharing reviews mention they have had opportunity to advance. I can tell you from experience that there isn't a support system for them, or a consistent process to determine how/whether an individual is ready to move into their next role. It is simply guess work, and who is popular for the moment. The performance evaluation process is awful, subjective and does little to nothing to guide proper dialogue between management and employees.

Advice to Management

There need to be some well-known and commonly accessible processes for determining whether someone is ready for promotion, providing support and training throughout the process. There needs to be regular feedback during the year for employees, not an "performance review" ambush once a year that is offensive and confusing. Finally, cross training and employee accountability across each department is something that needs to have real commitment. Team work isn't just a fun phrase. Employees need to have the base knowledge and go to necessary training sessions when needed, rather than expecting internal staff to train green staff members "from scratch", that's team work.