American Society of Plastic Surgeons

www.plasticsurgery.org
  www.plasticsurgery.org
There are newer employer reviews for American Society of Plastic Surgeons

Good place for comfortable job, not for go getters

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Arlington Heights, Cook, IL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL

I worked at American Society of Plastic Surgeons

Pros

Competitive salary and excellent benefits compared to corporations. 35+ hour work week except for annual meeting time. Good IT support and systems. Within department, employees are friendly.

Cons

No chance for upward advancement; always hires management from outside. Limited / discouraged tuition, seminar, association reimbursement. Many silos within the organization (not a lot of information sharing) resulting from competitivenes and ineffectiveness in top management. Can put as much time and effort in as you please - competence and time management is expected but excellence is not expected or rewarded..

Top management needs to work together and learn how to and manage employees. They are out of touch with the day to day operations.

5 Other Employee Reviews for American Society of Plastic Surgeons (View Most Recent)

“Good boss = happy employee @ ASPS”

I have been working at American Society of Plastic Surgeons

Pros

Pros – I have not worked for ASPS for very long (1.5 years), but so far, I have a positive experience working for this company. My boss, specifically, has been conscientious that everyone has a life outside of work, and has always been open to new ideas. I love that I am comfortable expressing ideas/thoughts about how to execute a projects, have great communication with my boss, and being able to execute projects without someone looking over your every move. An additional positive is that my boss is positive and self-driven when it comes to adapting to new technologies. It's nice to know that I have a chance to grow with this company (skills, not position unfortunately), and it's too bad we can't clone him with a "Tesla machine".

Given that medical education is a key initiative, I just wanted to say that the structure of how meetings are developed seems appropriate...meetings dept. handles meeting logistics, programs dept. handles program development working with faculty volunteers, and then there's the eLearning dept.

I noticed some not-so-great reviews, but it looks like they'd experienced the "re-org" that was begun (but "never completed") by the previous CEO. I believe the CEO, Michael Costelloe, started in the 4th quarter of 2010, and represents a new era for ASPS. From what I've seen so far, the current CEO does take employee's concerns to heart, and has made steps improving the moral. For instance, we now have jeans day every day (unless there are committee and Board meetings). The co. has quarterly birthday gatherings again. Also, flex days are allowed on Fridays (flex existed before, but not allowed on Fridays). So there are positive improvements that I've seen in just the past year. Anyway, it's all the little things like social gatherings that make a place enjoyable to work at everyday.

Cons

As far as health benefits, it's REALLY bad in comparison to other non-profit medical organizations in the Chicagoland area. The org. switched from BCBS of IL to United Healthcare to save money. United Healthcare is known to not pay, and from experience, they're not even covering basic standard of care procedures that prevent expensive surgery, etc. Copays, deductibles, and out-of-pocket limits are so high to the lower ranks when comparing their salaries, that employees choose to not see the doc 'til they're really sick due to affordability.

Listen to your employees...new ideas to improve "old ways" can help an organization and be an effective Highly Reliable Organization. Be willing to take a technological leap to keep in style with society's (clients/members') expectations. Increase professional training budgets for employees use per year. 1k doesn't even cover trip to a conference. Diversify strategy teams with the younger professionals. There is great value in veterans' historical knowledge, in the leader's management decisions, but the younger generation has the technological creativity that could always be tapped into. PDF files...to much wasted paper causes productivity & financial loss.

Go elsewhere

I worked at American Society of Plastic Surgeons

Pros

It was a paycheck and benefits - that's all.

Cons

Long term employees in leadership positions who don't have a clue other than playing politics which forces good employees to leave.

Get rid of the real problem - the "C" level's that have been there for 10+ years. They are the reason there was a mass lay off last year, not because of declining membership revenues. Look at who were let go, mid level employees who were there 3-5 years and who actually thought and who had ideas on how to succeed, not the mindless drones and political wanna be's that are there now, who blame everyone else for their screwups. Not one "C" level was let go. Sure some left afterwards but that was of their own free will.

There are newer employer reviews for American Society of Plastic Surgeons

Worked for American Society of Plastic Surgeons? Contribute to the Community!