Awful Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at American Specialty Health

Pros

On-site gym, decent employee lounge area, nice walking trails close-by, good health incentive programs.

Cons

My manager has zero people skills and no idea how to motivate a team or interact with people. Some managers are better than others, but overall, it seems that some people are promoted who really don't deserve to be, and lack the skills needed to be a leader. There's a definite distinction between the "haves" (managers) and "have nots". For instance, managers can eat at their desks, but regular employees can not! I've never worked for a company that's had a stupid rule like that!! There are all sorts of petty rules and micro-management tactics. The company preaches health and well-being, and work-life balance, but in reality it doesn't really care at all about its employees. It's one of the most unfriendly places I've ever worked.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect, show that you care. Get rid of petty rules that infuriate everyone. We aren't in elementary school anymore.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Horrible unless you went to high school with your manager

Current Employee - Provider Services Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Provider Services Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at American Specialty Health

Pros

Its a paycheck and they provide decent benefits. The new lunch room it great with multiple TV's and the center courtyard with waterfalls can be relaxing.

Cons

It is worse than being the outcast in high school. The supervisors, managers, and director in my department are useless. They only care about making themselves look good. It has been just over a year a new director and unless you went to high school with her she doesn't like you. They don't respect the reps and the work we do, they change the rules all the time, and try to make up for their incompetence with root beer floats and ice cream sundaes. Get real we are adults, treat us with respect instead of trying bribing us.

Advice to Management

Fire the Director and new Managers in Provider Services and start over. Treat your employees with respect, follow your own rules consistently, and don't let one person be the voice the department that talks to customers and providers everyday - they aren't telling you the truth.

I'd rather be a waitress than work at ASH.

Former Employee - Research Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at American Specialty Health

Pros

Comprehensive benefits package was pretty much the only "pro" out of my employment here. I also met a few cool people at the company, but most of them were either far out of my age group or completely unmotivated about their careers.

Cons

Employees are treated very poorly by management- there is no work-life balance whatsoever and management does not know how to properly assign resources and prioritize projects. Every project is high priority and employees spend late nights attempting poorly defined assignments. Senior management really likes to pat themselves on the backs and holds these 2-hour mandatory awards ceremonies once a quarter or more. The company also has no sense at all of financial analysis (scary!) so there's no way of telling how the company is actually doing at any given point in time. Management will take every possible opportunity to tell employees what a great place this is to work- but it's only lip service. There are also multiple departments that do exactly the same thing and constantly step on each other's toes.

Advice to Management

Please reorganize your company. Get rid of the redundant functional areas, do some financial analysis, and please show that you actually care about your employees.