Good Company - Growing pains, US Tower management plan is a mystery

Current Employee - Engineering Manager  in  Cary, NC
Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Cary, NC

I have been working at American Tower full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good Compensation and benefits, Corporate (Boston/International) management is top notch

Cons

US Tower management (Woburn) offers little to no advancement for existing talent. Sr. Management has made the decision to go external for almost every avalaible Mid to Sr. level management position over the past 2 years. Acheiving promotion or hire is often not based on talent or capability, but rather who you know in management and where you came from prior to AMT. Multiple Sr. Level managers/executives are in the wrong job or are lacking due to legacy employment or buddy system. Good people are held back or overlooked, average or external talent is promoted, both often for the wrong reasons.

Harvest your internal talent before it leaves for the competioin. Get the right Executive managment in place.

Other Reviews for American Tower

Great company to work for!!

Current Employee - M&A  in  Cary, NC
    Current Employee - M&A in Cary, NC

I have been working at American Tower as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Fascinating business model and friendly culture

Cons

nothing bad to say about them

Strong financials, interesting opportunities, great outlook

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at American Tower full-time

Pros

I have had really interesting assignments since I started with ATC and have been promoted several times. I've also had the opportunity to work on several high profile projects that have allowed me to gain unique experience.

The company has supported my growth by allowing me to return to school part time in the evenings and has allowed me to take time out of work to attend trainings and conferences.

I was given equity in the company when I started and have received an annual grant every year due to strong continued performance. That equity has really started to add up over the past couple years. There is also an employee stock purchase program so I was able to buy additional ATC stock.

The company has experienced a lot of growth both internationally and in the US. We have a strong business model and excellent financials. It is definitely a company I see myself with for the next several years.

Cons

There have been some growing pains as the company sets itself up for future growth. Work can't and shouldn't be done in silos and so the company needs to focus on improving communication flow between the divisions.

There are newer employer reviews for American Tower.

Worked for American Tower? Contribute to the Community!