There are newer employer reviews for American Tower

High growth, incredibly stable. Not for everyone.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA

I have been working at American Tower full-time

Pros

Very high growth company. Fantastic benefits (they're even increasing 401k match in 2013... and there will be no increase in healthcare premiums) - stock purchase plan, equity for all, bonus program. It's wonderful working for a company that is growing and seems to be recession-proof. Global growth.

Cons

incredibly bureaucratic. SVPs are involved in nearly every decision. Very little autonomy, even for managers. Many micro-managers. The company is very cautious and doesn't seem to trust its employees - employees are blocked from viewing blogs at work. Facebook and twitter are blocked. There are about 400 people in the Woburn office, but at lunch everyone eats their desks (the cafeteria probably has about 10 small tables). Nobody seems to talk to each other. Most people don't see to be particularly happy, but stick around because of the great benefits. Don't get me wrong, American Tower is a very good place to work - but it's really not for everyone. I believe there are many changes under way to change the culture in a good way.

Advice to Management

give your employees more autonomy.

reviews filtered by

Great company to work for!!

Current Contractor - M&A in Cary, NC
    Current Contractor - M&A in Cary, NC

I have been working at American Tower as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Fascinating business model and friendly culture

Cons

nothing bad to say about them

Strong financials, interesting opportunities, great outlook

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at American Tower full-time

Pros

I have had really interesting assignments since I started with ATC and have been promoted several times. I've also had the opportunity to work on several high profile projects that have allowed me to gain unique experience.

The company has supported my growth by allowing me to return to school part time in the evenings and has allowed me to take time out of work to attend trainings and conferences.

I was given equity in the company when I started and have received an annual grant every year due to strong continued performance. That equity has really started to add up over the past couple years. There is also an employee stock purchase program so I was able to buy additional ATC stock.

The company has experienced a lot of growth both internationally and in the US. We have a strong business model and excellent financials. It is definitely a company I see myself with for the next several years.

Cons

There have been some growing pains as the company sets itself up for future growth. Work can't and shouldn't be done in silos and so the company needs to focus on improving communication flow between the divisions.

There are newer employer reviews for American Tower