American Tower

www.americantower.com
  www.americantower.com
There are newer employer reviews for American Tower

Not always a place I want to be.

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at American Tower full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Comp and benefits are above average. Lots of opportunities for employee to self educate due to an extensive development center. Very fast-paced environment with a lot of high talent and very personable people. Some teams really know how to promote from within and encourage employee development and career growth. Others don't.

Cons

Leading by example is missing. Can't get time off. I mean, there is time off, but you can't enjoy it as no one disconnects. The downside of a fast-paced environment and a big missed opportunity to lead by example. They pay well but they extract their pound of flesh.

Really listen to your employees and hear what they are and aren't saying. Figure out how to provide a solid work life balance before you start losing talent.

98 Other Employee Reviews for American Tower (View Most Recent)

Bureaucratic, division of labor makes no sense, low pay, "busy work", management is ok but could be better

Current Employee - Director in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Woburn, MA

I have been working at American Tower full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, work-life balance, stable company

Cons

Management has no sense of what motivates employees (at times, they kill motivation), low salaries, promotions take a life time, problem employees get away with a lot because managers do not have the skills to handle them which results in the loss of good employees who are smart enough to move on; IT is a joke; legal department is dysfunctional and it's lawyers do not nothing but complain and talk about each other.

Be wise to recognize you don't know it all and that you could learn to be better managers from those managers below you and by the way, don't steal their ideas without giving them proper credit. Don't let your friendships cloud your judgment about a person's performance. Recognize the stars from the deadweight and let them lead. Put the complainers in their place, not those they complain about. Chances are, they are actually working hard for you! pay people market rates. $ is always a good motivator. Reorganize the IT department from the ground up. Do something with your legal department. They remind me of high school.

Penny Pay Produces Poor Performance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA

I worked at American Tower full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best part of American Tower is the day you walk out the door for good!

Cons

I should have known better than to accept when I was offered my position and attempted to negotiate a minute pay increase. I was told, "It's non-negotiable," which pretty much sums up working at American Tower.

From the day I started until the day I left, they were concerned about numbers (as in more pay for upper management and horrible salaries from middle-management down).

CEO Jim Taiclet earned more than $12 MILLION in 2013; Chief Financial Officer Tom Barlett earned more than $4.5 MILLION in 2013; President Steven Marshall earned more than $4.2 MILLION in 2013; Exec. VP William Hess earned more than $4 MILLION in 2013; and Exec. VP Edmund Disanto earned more than $3.8 MILLION in 2013.

The company scrimps in regard to across-the-board company salaries - again for middle management and below - and tends to hire fresh-out-of-college graduates who will work for pennies on the dollar - only to leave at the first growth opportunity.

As for customer service, I worked with great people, who cared about the industry and client goodwill; however, with the limited resources (as in too few people for too great a workload), staff just could not provide the "premium" level of service on which American Tower supposedly prides itself.

It is a shame that American Tower does not understand the simple concept, "You get what you pay for." Their executives seem to ba$k in the glow of that knowledge.

I suggest that the company start paying for the quality they seek.

There are newer employer reviews for American Tower