American Tower

www.americantower.com
  www.americantower.com
There are newer employer reviews for American Tower

Not always a place I want to be.

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at American Tower full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Comp and benefits are above average. Lots of opportunities for employee to self educate due to an extensive development center. Very fast-paced environment with a lot of high talent and very personable people. Some teams really know how to promote from within and encourage employee development and career growth. Others don't.

Cons

Leading by example is missing. Can't get time off. I mean, there is time off, but you can't enjoy it as no one disconnects. The downside of a fast-paced environment and a big missed opportunity to lead by example. They pay well but they extract their pound of flesh.

Really listen to your employees and hear what they are and aren't saying. Figure out how to provide a solid work life balance before you start losing talent.

94 Other Employee Reviews for American Tower (View Most Recent)

Fan of fiefdoms? You found your home!

Former Employee - Systems Administrator
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator

I worked at American Tower as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Decent pay, pleasant work atmosphere, competent employees. The company is headed in the right direction, and is poised to become hugely successful.

Cons

Experts say, 'Never make yourself indispensable; never get to the point of saying, "There's no way they can fire me." ' That's an area of opportunity for American Tower.

A lot of territory battles over the smallest of issues could have been easily avoided. Instead, I saw very talented new hires get the cold shoulder for no other reason than to maintain the status quo's egos. Make no mistake: VERY NICE people, VERY PLEASANT egos, but unnecessarily stubborn and a hindrance to progress.

Horrible communications regarding project expectations for the newbie

Former Employee - Project Specialist in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Project Specialist in Woburn, MA

I worked at American Tower full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Modern offices, independent work environment, great location from home

Cons

Training is a joke (bad scheduling, jumped from conference room to conference room); no real direction - as a contractor I was put in a fishbowl of interruptions while my coworkers was in a quiet environment so we couldn't coordinate our projects. Also had another contractor CONSTANTLY interrupting me to teach me her job simply by imitating the steps of her project (i.e. she shows us one step, then we each sit down and imitate the step) when all I needed was a step list; also, would be "reasonable" for those of us who have to drive to get alternative schedule (even just a few days a week)

PROFESSIONAL training for new staff/contractor that is scheduled and not just scribbled notes from an employee who is too busy to teach ; give a better idea of the go-to lead; give more that 3 days one week (closed due to employee fun day) and 2 days the next to learn projects; free up staff to teach contractors their jobs and give a reasonable learning curve; and don't scrimp on salaries for decent IT people, since AT has just about EVERY application open on their desktops (have you never heard of bandwidth?)

There are newer employer reviews for American Tower