American University
www.american.edu Washington, DC 1000 to 5000 Employees

Completely Elitist Culture

Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at American University full-time for more than a year

Pros-Good retirement benefits
-Free-ish education

Cons-Terrible, terrible pay
-Awful review system
-Elitist

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the PMP review system, it's not transparent and does not give employees any incentive to become better at their jobs. Rather, the incentive is to begin to do as little as possible because you know there is going to be no reward for hard work. I am looking to leave AU within the next 6 months and go somewhere my efforts are rewarded with a decent paycheck. Also, quit promoting based on education level. A Masters degree is NOT a substitute for common sense. I've never seen so many well-educated idiots in my life.

Great working environment

School of Communication (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at American University part-time for more than a year

Pros: The community of people. Very Professional Cons: Somewhat bureaucratic in its approach Advice to Senior Management: Continue to adopt technology Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great staff and work environment

Student Adviser (Current Employee)

I have been working at American University part-time

Pros: Great work environment and work life balance Cons: The pay was too low and not sufficient More

There are newer reviews on American University.

Worked for American University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American University CEO Neil Kerwin. All reviews posted anonymously by American University employees.