There are newer employer reviews for American Water

Only focus is money

I have been working at American Water full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits
Competent, experienced rank and file employees who have excellent work ethic

Cons

Sad environment since so many reorganizations. When I first came to the company, the customer's needs were a priority and a part of every conversation. Now, you hardly ever hear about feedback from customers. Problems were discussed openly. Now, the only topic allowed for discussion is operating efficiently. This approach doesn't balance other important factors of a good work environment such as safety, employee-supervisor relationships, sustainability and growth and career paths for employees. There is no structured plan for training people and opportunities for women seem limited.

Don't just focus on the shareholder. Customers and employees will suffer.
Break down glass ceiling for women.

87 Other Employee Reviews for American Water (View Most Recent)

Over all a great place to work

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at American Water

Pros

- Overall management and employee attitude that we are "professionals" and the best at what we do;
    - National company provides growth opportunity for those willing to relocate;
    - Good internal relations at operating centers;

Cons

- HR tends to be too autonomous and distanced from the employees, (one sometimes wonders what they're doing with their 8-hours)
    - Benefits have been reduced (I guess I didn't think it would happen at American)

All-in-all American Water's Management is doing fine. We are moving forward as a well-run company, making significant improvements in communication and enterprise infrastructure.
    American is still "the best"

Great for a student interested in water conservation and water-related interests

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at American Water

Pros

Great, laidback work. Excellent position for growth for later career related to environment

Cons

Lack of feedback from management

There are newer employer reviews for American Water