Ameriprise

www.ameriprise.com
  www.ameriprise.com
There are newer employer reviews for Ameriprise

Good things and bad things about working for Ameriprise

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Ameriprise

Pros

Culture, diversity, opportunities, benefits, salaries

Cons

Leaders promoted unfairly with severely poor discipline practices for leaders who are proven to violate the code of ethics and/or company policy. Many leaders betray trust and confidence and continue to do so with little to no consequences for their behavior. Also, because this company is in the financial services industry, they are eliminating jobs rather than looking at other options such as reducing or eliminating bonuses and/or reducing the 401K match. Positions are being eliminated without any regard for seniority or tenure with the company. There were additional positions just eliminated in April that no one seems to be aware of. Somehow the company has managed to keep this from the public. Here's the irony - my position was eliminated yet I still received the annual bonus.

I truly believe that Senior Management is completely unaware of the practices going on by the leaders under them. I have had two leaders at Ameriprise proven to do despicable acts to me. I reported the incidents, sufficiently proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that the acts occured, yet these leaders continued in their roles as leaders in the company with what seemed like little more than a slap on the hand. In addition, there is a woman in a senior leadership role in Investments who has very poor leadership skills. It's blatently obvious that her leadership decisions are biased, she sorely lacks fairness and objectivity, and cares little for the unusual life events that can occur in a person's life.

586 Other Employee Reviews for Ameriprise (View Most Recent)

An Excellent Place to Learn the Industry

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ameriprise

Pros

It is a very good place to get started in the industry. You learn a lot including how to write financial plans, how to craft appropriate recomendations for clients, and marketing strategies. The people in my office are very good to work with and I have a supportive manager and vice president. The environment is as competitive as you want it to be, which makes it a good place for both more competitive and less competitive people. Having veteran advisors work as coaches makes it easier for new advisors to hit the ground running. Overall, a good place to work.

Cons

There have been many changes recently at Ameriprise, that, while good for the company, have made it more difficult for novice advisors to generate business. In addition, recent changes to the management structure stand a good chance of making it difficult for advisors to get the help they need. The payout structure leaves a great deal to be desired and is frequently changed and the company does not always seem to place much importance on the value of work - life balance. Ameriprise is also consistently rolling out new technology which is not always easy for advisors to get used to.

Senior management could always stand to be more accessible and proactive about offering assistance. There also needs to be more consistency in how corporate policy changes are communicated to the field force.

Good company, bad experiance

Former Employee - Associate Financial Advisor in Hampton, VA
    Former Employee - Associate Financial Advisor in Hampton, VA

I worked at Ameriprise

Pros

The company is good, but be wear of the franchise owner you go to work for, they may jerk you around.

Cons

You do not work for Ameriprise, you work for a franchise owner, and they can basically do whatever they want.

Investigate your franchise owners, because some of them are doing very dishonest things.

There are newer employer reviews for Ameriprise