Ameriprise

Working for a P2 advisor

Current Employee - Associate Financial Advisor in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Associate Financial Advisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ameriprise

Pros

Ability to have a flexible schedule, every day is different, direct client contact.....but of course all of this is pretty dependent for the advisor you work for and how they want to structure their practice

Cons

Working for an advisor can have a lot of uncertainties and often times they can lose sight of the value their employees provide even though they are not generating revenue for the practice. It is very heard to really get to know an advisor and how they do business in an initial interview so sometime you may not know what their values/strenghts/weaknesses are until well after being hired. So its important to ask around about the advisor and to try to do as much research on him/her as possible

Keep growing and never waver from the financial planning foundation which IDS/AEFA/Ameriprise was/is founded on

585 Other Employee Reviews for Ameriprise (View Most Recent)

neutrul

Current Employee - Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Intern in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Ameriprise

Pros

The internship was easy, not much work. I worked part time for a short time. The people were nice and the atmosphere was friendly.

Cons

The internship was not paid. I honestly did not learn much. I still feel like I know as much as I did before the internship.

Offer more incentives to the advisors to encourage them to do what is best for their clients because some advisors only care about themselves and making money.

Great place to start your career, but it is very difficult to sustain growth.

I have been working at Ameriprise

Pros

Extreme flexibility in how you grow your practice. A wide product offering makes it easy to attract prospects from all areas. Technology platform is excellent.

Cons

Although education is a major focus of the company, it focuses more on product education. That is fine as you must know what the consumer is purchasing. However, there is not a huge push for strategy education. Management is not concerned about the quality of advice so long as it follows FINRA and SEC regulations.

The quality of advice is essential to growing a practice. In tough economic times, the company focused more on what products to sell clients than to offer a solution that is actionable. A lot of advisors have their basic designations, but there is not systematic required training of industry best practices.

There are newer employer reviews for Ameriprise