Ameriprise Advisor Center Minneapolis MN

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Ameriprise full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They pay for your licenses. The trainers do their best to prepare you for trying to work with clients. A stepping stone to a better firm.

Cons

Too many to list. Long hours, diminished client base. Toxic management and expectation from them to churn client accounts. Most advisors don't make it past 2 years. The system almost seems designed to get people termed after 18-24 months. The job has continually gotten worse in the two years I have been there. The senior leadership does not seem to understand what is happening in a rather large department of their company.

Advice to Management

Create a new system, your current one is broken.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Worst company for which I've ever worked

Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Ameriprise full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company puts clients and their needs first, and they take fiduciary responsibilities very seriously.
    Costs of services are reasonable by industry standards.
    Great personal satisfaction in helping clients to achieve their goals.
    Home Office representatives are very knowledgeable, helpful, and resourceful.

Cons

Senior management has a very antagonistic and exploitive attitude towards field staff.
    Employees working in franchised advisor practices are excluded from all company benefits—neither health insurance nor disability coverage, and not even access to the company’s retirement plan nor ESPP.
    User-hostile technology and unannounced changes to processes and procedures are extremely frustrating and set you up for constant failure.
    Raises are even less than inflation, thus guaranteeing that your purchasing power will go down regardless of job performance. Compensation in general is extraordinarily unfair, with 100% of income growth going to executives and advisors even though staff does all of the actual work.
    Franchise staffs are specifically excluded from the employee satisfaction survey. Senior management doesn’t care nor want to know about your on-the-job challenges even though you’re the public face of the company.
    Don’t take a job with Ameriprise unless you’re really desperate, and even then get out asap; long-term, it’s a dead-end without opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your frontline employees like disposable trash. Invest in some kind of professional development and help them plan a career path with the company. I worked there for almost a decade and I don't know any staff people that are satisfied, so you may be quite surprised at the mass exodus out the door when the job market finally recovers.

Know Your Worth, because Ameriprise doesn't.

Current Employee - CSC Client Service Center in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - CSC Client Service Center in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Ameriprise full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Headquarters has more professional environment and opportunities than the CSC - Client Service Center.

Cons

Ameriprise Financial, CSC- Client Service Center, MInneapolis, MN

Fake, fear-based, culture. Most team leaders and directors take an extremely disingenuous approach to team members so pervasive that it has almost completely contaminated my colleagues ( in other words, a lot of people come across phony, like they are acting the "Pro Ameriprise Brand. " )

The overall mood most people have is , "Look, this is just a job, I don't really care about any of this, but let's just do our best to pretend to be really excited about these "Dream it, Do It" financial services we provide but can't afford to invest in ourselves. "

The most challenging aspect of working at Ameriprise , the #1 Con, is trying to motivate yourself to care about work that you feel your own leader/director/direct report doesn't really care about. There is simply no heart in the work.

Maybe some of the negativity is because it's hard to relate to our very wealthy, affluent clients. Unfortunately, what happens when you don't have Heart, when you don't have anything Real to work with or for, when you don't have a personal, relatable company mission and vision to love and believe in... then all that is left is " Me, Me, Me, 'Get out of my way' I will do whatever I have to do to climb this ladder , and doing good, creative, intelligent work doesn't get rewarded here so I will do whatever I have to do to appear better than my coworkers."

Advice to Management

Compensate people for their contributions by $$ Paying $$ them what they are worth. When someone wants to become more than what they are, whether it is by approving tuition reimbursement that will help a determined associate achieve the position they are working towards ( vs only approving a class that is related to their "current position," whether it is challenging and supporting a team member to advance in band and position, or whether it is recognizing their performance with leadership opportunities and a comparable salary that reflects their achievements. Keep employees Moving. Help employees get to where they want to go and become More than who they are. Compensate with a competitive salary and bonus, compensate the people who work smart and create change, vs rewarding your own private network of friends, your golfing buddies, the person who exaggerates her contributions or the guy on team who puts on the perfect corporate schmooze and show. Ameriprise can have any product but it is only as good as its people. Respect your people because one by one, you are losing the Best. Because, ironically, you choose not to invest.