Ameriprise

www.ameriprise.com
  www.ameriprise.com
There are newer employer reviews for Ameriprise

Great job since the spin-off

Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Ameriprise

Pros

The people at Ameriprise are really great. They are knowledgeable subject matter experts in their fields and really try hard to best meet the needs of their business units and the clients they serve. Also, most business areas work well as teams to get the job done.

Also, I think most of the leadership at Ameriprise is excellent. They are doing what needs to be done to remain competetive in financial services by offering a variety of products to meet their clients' and advisors' needs. The first 4-5 years I was there, we didn't launch many new products, but since the leadership took over about five years ago, we've successfully spun off of American Express, launched many new products and acquired new companies like Threadneedle and J.W. Seligman.

Finally, I really like the work-life balance and community involvement that is not only encouraged, but promoted. I'm proud to work for this company.

Cons

Like most companies, there are silos of business units that don't necessarily work towards the best interest of the company as a whole, and have conflicting goals with the rest of the company. For example, our Technology area is filled with bureaucracy that makes getting any technology changes accomplished very time consuming and very expensive. This makes it very challenging to quickly respond to business opportunities that could postively impact the bottom line. It's almost like this organization is competing with the business areas it supports to meet it's goals at the cost of the business units meeting their goals.

I think you should replace the upper-level Technology leadership with business leaders and align the goals of this area with those of the business units. Contrary to popular belief, you don't need (or want) technology careerists to run the Technology area.

587 Other Employee Reviews for Ameriprise (View Most Recent)

Ameriprise is a good place to work with potential for an even better experience

Current Employee - Ameriprise Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Ameriprise Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Ameriprise

Pros

challenging work and general support to get job done

Cons

new company and not organized

Keep building culture but realize the firm is NOT just financial planning. Its only a small piece of the business

It's a good place to start and you might just stay.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Ameriprise

Pros

It's a flexible career which allows you to work as much or as little as you want. My favorite part is that you are able to build great relationships with clients that you like that can last a lifetime.

Cons

It's hard work and a lot of it. I would not recommend it if you have significant financial responsibilities or if you do not want to work long hours in the beginning. The fact that you do not have a big base means that you will likely not be sure how you are going to pay your bills.

I think they have done a good job of raising standards and although it makes the job more difficult I think it is ultimately worth it.

There are newer employer reviews for Ameriprise