Ameristar Casinos

www.ameristar.com
  www.ameristar.com
There are newer employer reviews for Ameristar Casinos

The blind leading the blind

Former Employee - Supervisor in East Chicago, IN
Former Employee - Supervisor in East Chicago, IN

I worked at Ameristar Casinos full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's an opportunity to get some casino experience and free training. Working at the Ameristar would get your foot in the casino world door.

Cons

The biggest problem is the political environment and the lack of opportunities for advancement. It is a bland version of the old Harrahs management style

80 Other Employee Reviews for Ameristar Casinos (View Most Recent)

Management Resents Dealers

Current Employee - Table Games Dealer in Black Hawk, CO
    Current Employee - Table Games Dealer in Black Hawk, CO

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is only Ameristar property where the dealers keep their own tips. Becoming full time is not really possible, but you can still make a nice income part time. It's the nicest casino in town, so it stays consistently busy.

Cons

Management continuously reminds us this is the only Ameristar property where the dealers keep their own tips. They keep bringing in new games with side bets to discourage tipping. (i.e. they hope players play the side bets rather than use their smaller chips to bet/tip the dealer). Scheduling is ridiculous. Your start times can change daily within 4 hours. So Monday you start at 8, Tuesday you start at 12, then Wednesday at 10. I bid on a shift schedule that I have actually worked twice in the last 4 months. They claim they believe in work/life balance. How do you plan your life around that? They have the worst comp system. Yet they actually encourage people to act like jerks. All you gotta do is yell loud enough and long enough and they will give you a free room. Management and floor decisions are inconsistent but getting better. There are way too many meetings outside of scheduled hours. Now they do not want to pay us for attending mandatory meetings.

Don't expect employees to practice your core values when management does not. Lead by example!

Nothing special stay away from

Former Employee - Cashier in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Cashier in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos full-time (more than an year)

Pros

flexible, average uppermanagement, i would not recommend, other employees are very relatable

Cons

management is sub par and everyone likes to think they are in charge

There are newer employer reviews for Ameristar Casinos