Ameristar Casinos

There are newer employer reviews for Ameristar Casinos

Worst Company I've Worked For Ever

Current Employee - Security Officer in Kansas City, MO
Current Employee - Security Officer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos full-time (less than a year)

Pros

No pros to working here

Cons

They tell you one thing and do another, alot of backstabbing and lying. Management tells you they care about you and your career while in reality they don't give a flying flip. Alot of micromanaging, they also count every little minor detail of a mistake against you. Very high turnover rate, low pay, no sick days. They also write you up if you call in sick, if you call in 9 times a year you're fired. They also won't let you take a vacation if you don't have PTO (paid time off). If you get suspended, call in or are late they take out of your PTO bank. Customers are jerks and call you a racist just because you are carding them to verify their age. Worst company I have ever worked for, a joke of an environment to say the least. Don't work here because, you will probably get fired over a very minor thing.

Start treating Team Members as you want to be treated, stop firing people over silly, ridiculous stuff.

84 Other Employee Reviews for Ameristar Casinos (View Most Recent)

The blind leading the blind

Former Employee - Supervisor in East Chicago, IN
    Former Employee - Supervisor in East Chicago, IN

I worked at Ameristar Casinos full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's an opportunity to get some casino experience and free training. Working at the Ameristar would get your foot in the casino world door.

Cons

The biggest problem is the political environment and the lack of opportunities for advancement. It is a bland version of the old Harrahs management style

Management Resents Dealers

Current Employee - Table Games Dealer in Black Hawk, CO
    Current Employee - Table Games Dealer in Black Hawk, CO

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is only Ameristar property where the dealers keep their own tips. Becoming full time is not really possible, but you can still make a nice income part time. It's the nicest casino in town, so it stays consistently busy.

Cons

Management continuously reminds us this is the only Ameristar property where the dealers keep their own tips. They keep bringing in new games with side bets to discourage tipping. (i.e. they hope players play the side bets rather than use their smaller chips to bet/tip the dealer). Scheduling is ridiculous. Your start times can change daily within 4 hours. So Monday you start at 8, Tuesday you start at 12, then Wednesday at 10. I bid on a shift schedule that I have actually worked twice in the last 4 months. They claim they believe in work/life balance. How do you plan your life around that? They have the worst comp system. Yet they actually encourage people to act like jerks. All you gotta do is yell loud enough and long enough and they will give you a free room. Management and floor decisions are inconsistent but getting better. There are way too many meetings outside of scheduled hours. Now they do not want to pay us for attending mandatory meetings.

Don't expect employees to practice your core values when management does not. Lead by example!

There are newer employer reviews for Ameristar Casinos