Ameristar Casinos

www.ameristar.com
  www.ameristar.com
There are newer employer reviews for Ameristar Casinos

Great company that really tries to show appreciation of all Team Members.

Former Employee - Casino Services Supervisor in Black Hawk, CO
Former Employee - Casino Services Supervisor in Black Hawk, CO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Extremely guest service oriented. Generous cash bonuses for Team Member/Leader of the Year, based on performance and guest service. Nurtures positive atmosphere from Team Members. Team Member dining room available daily with payroll deduction; never have to worry about not having a meal for your shift. Great opportunities to move up. They are very open to moving people into different departments.

Cons

I lived in Denver and worked in Black Hawk. The commute was very wearing. Once you get to salary, they ride you like cattle. Expect to work far more hours and make less hourly than your staff.

Pay your middle and upper management their worth.

80 Other Employee Reviews for Ameristar Casinos (View Most Recent)

Terrible how you are treated as an employee

Former Employee - House Person in Council Bluffs, IA
    Former Employee - House Person in Council Bluffs, IA

I worked at Ameristar Casinos part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lunch was $2.50 in the Hot line and Free for the salad bar along with free pop, milk, and juice. Starting pay was good but only a 3% raise (you have to wait a year for one).

Cons

Where do I start? I've been harassed by other employees during my light duty after I injured my back on the job. (I actually had one cussing and yelling that she wished she can "Sit on her ass for 8 hours a day, do nothing, and still get paid!" Directed towards me of course.) Went to my supervisor and hotel director and they had a little talk with the employee, but her high and almighty attitude towards me did not change.

The Point system is awful! If you're a second late, it;s a half point. If your dog passed away, they don't care, it's a point, sometimes a point and a half if you don't call in two hours ahead. It takes a year to get 1 point back and you only get 9 of them a year, so if you make it up to 8.5 and your late one more time, you're done.

And now to the most important part: Why I came here to write this. They don't care if you have EMERGENCY SURGERY!!! They will come up with some excuse as to why they can't grant you personal leave (30 days unpaid, but hey you still have a job!) after you don't qualify for FMLA (you have to be there for a year, I worked there for 8 months), and they will give you a line of bull and tell you to come in and sign a VOLUNTARY form of resignation so you can "be considered rehire-able in the future."

Funny, I get injured on the job and two months later they can't accommodate me after surgery...

Anyways, the management team is condescending towards you if you come to them with a problem. They will give you coachings left and right (at first good to make it seem like youre the best employee ever) and will write you up for the most stupid reasons. (I made the mistake of stacking two tiny boxes on top of each other and I didn't bend right, in front of my supervisor, who also wrote me up for being too slow in productivity my 2nd day back from light duty...Advice: Watch your back!)

Show more Care & Compassion for your Employees!!!!

A mixed bag of ups and downs, overall a mediocre-bad experience

Former Employee - Server in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Server in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The team member salad bar is suburb, Quick way to make money on the weekends, I've met some great people while working here and made some great friends

Cons

There was a general attitude of resentment coming from management towards hourly employees and they were not shy about vocalizing it. Management resents dealers, servers, bartenders, hourly cooks, and other hourly employees who make tips. I worked at the Kansas City location and management in general was pretty bad there. The whole three and a half years I worked there, there were only two managers I considered to be good at their jobs. The rest were very resentful, negative, or were unfamiliar with workplace policies. If you even had an issue that needed to be addressed they would act like it was your problem and could be condescending. A lot of issues were ignored. Most of the customers were nice however there were a few bad apples and the bad apples were bad. I mean really bad. Not much was ever done about the abusive customers either. I'm being very generous by giving them 2 stars. I gave my 100% and felt like I was never appreciated. The employee of the month thing is a joke. I worked with some great people who were never nominated and some of the ones who got it were baffling. Maybe that's the way the casino industry is supposed to be? On the positive side of things it makes me appreciate my new job 100 times more.

Respect your employees. They are your backbone and the place would not run itself without them.

There are newer employer reviews for Ameristar Casinos