There are newer employer reviews for Ameristar Casinos

Great company that really tries to show appreciation of all Team Members.

Former Employee - Casino Services Supervisor in Black Hawk, CO
Former Employee - Casino Services Supervisor in Black Hawk, CO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely guest service oriented. Generous cash bonuses for Team Member/Leader of the Year, based on performance and guest service. Nurtures positive atmosphere from Team Members. Team Member dining room available daily with payroll deduction; never have to worry about not having a meal for your shift. Great opportunities to move up. They are very open to moving people into different departments.

Cons

I lived in Denver and worked in Black Hawk. The commute was very wearing. Once you get to salary, they ride you like cattle. Expect to work far more hours and make less hourly than your staff.

Advice to Management

Pay your middle and upper management their worth.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. A mixed bag of ups and downs, overall a mediocre-bad experience

Former Employee - Server in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Server in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The team member salad bar is suburb, Quick way to make money on the weekends, I've met some great people while working here and made some great friends

Cons

There was a general attitude of resentment coming from management towards hourly employees and they were not shy about vocalizing it. Management resents dealers, servers, bartenders, hourly cooks, and other hourly employees who make tips. I worked at the Kansas City location and management in general was pretty bad there. The whole three and a half years I worked there, there were only two managers I considered to be good at their jobs. The rest were very resentful, negative, or were unfamiliar with workplace policies. If you even had an issue that needed to be addressed they would act like it was your problem and could be condescending. A lot of issues were ignored. Most of the customers were nice however there were a few bad apples and the bad apples were bad. I mean really bad. Not much was ever done about the abusive customers either. I'm being very generous by giving them 2 stars. I gave my 100% and felt like I was never appreciated. The employee of the month thing is a joke. I worked with some great people who were never nominated and some of the ones who got it were baffling. Maybe that's the way the casino industry is supposed to be? On the positive side of things it makes me appreciate my new job 100 times more.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees. They are your backbone and the place would not run itself without them.

2. Used to be good, now it is awful.

Current Employee - Blackjack Dealer in Black Hawk, CO
    Current Employee - Blackjack Dealer in Black Hawk, CO

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As a dealer, the tips are the best in town, although going down because of the addition of a bunch of tables and progressive carnival games.

Cons

Many. The management here has become some of the most incompetent, punishing and retaliatory I have ever worked with. Although they claim they have an open door policy here it has become clear to employees that expressing concerns will only get you into trouble. Lying to employees is a specialty here. They have a set of values they shove down employees throats but don't follow themselves.

Advice to Management

Have a real open door policy. Start caring about employees. Show some appreciation to employees. Follow you values.