Ameristar Casinos

www.ameristar.com
  www.ameristar.com
There are newer employer reviews for Ameristar Casinos

Great leadership, benefits and employee morale

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Encino, CA
Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Encino, CA

I worked at Ameristar Casinos full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I worked as the executive assistant under Ameristar's CEO, Gordon Kanofsky. In my 8+ years at Ameristar, I witnesses a leadership core that valued employee development and longevity. Ameristar presciently scaled down outside development in advance of the recession, and worked to keep as many employees as possible during the cutbacks that ensued. Great benefits and stability that fosters good morale. I was sorry to see the company merge into a competitor this past August.

Cons

My position had no upward career path, but I was given opportunities to advance.

77 Other Employee Reviews for Ameristar Casinos (View Most Recent)

beverage server

Former Employee - Beverage Server
    Former Employee - Beverage Server

I worked at Ameristar Casinos full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun environment , lots of fun people

Cons

Lots of walking , hard on feet

Terrible how you are treated as an employee

Former Employee - House Person in Council Bluffs, IA
    Former Employee - House Person in Council Bluffs, IA

I worked at Ameristar Casinos part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lunch was $2.50 in the Hot line and Free for the salad bar along with free pop, milk, and juice. Starting pay was good but only a 3% raise (you have to wait a year for one).

Cons

Where do I start? I've been harassed by other employees during my light duty after I injured my back on the job. (I actually had one cussing and yelling that she wished she can "Sit on her ass for 8 hours a day, do nothing, and still get paid!" Directed towards me of course.) Went to my supervisor and hotel director and they had a little talk with the employee, but her high and almighty attitude towards me did not change.

The Point system is awful! If you're a second late, it;s a half point. If your dog passed away, they don't care, it's a point, sometimes a point and a half if you don't call in two hours ahead. It takes a year to get 1 point back and you only get 9 of them a year, so if you make it up to 8.5 and your late one more time, you're done.

And now to the most important part: Why I came here to write this. They don't care if you have EMERGENCY SURGERY!!! They will come up with some excuse as to why they can't grant you personal leave (30 days unpaid, but hey you still have a job!) after you don't qualify for FMLA (you have to be there for a year, I worked there for 8 months), and they will give you a line of bull and tell you to come in and sign a VOLUNTARY form of resignation so you can "be considered rehire-able in the future."

Funny, I get injured on the job and two months later they can't accommodate me after surgery...

Anyways, the management team is condescending towards you if you come to them with a problem. They will give you coachings left and right (at first good to make it seem like youre the best employee ever) and will write you up for the most stupid reasons. (I made the mistake of stacking two tiny boxes on top of each other and I didn't bend right, in front of my supervisor, who also wrote me up for being too slow in productivity my 2nd day back from light duty...Advice: Watch your back!)

Show more Care & Compassion for your Employees!!!!

There are newer employer reviews for Ameristar Casinos