Ameristar Casinos

There are newer employer reviews for Ameristar Casinos

beverage server

Former Employee - Beverage Server
Former Employee - Beverage Server

I worked at Ameristar Casinos full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun environment , lots of fun people

Cons

Lots of walking , hard on feet

84 Other Employee Reviews for Ameristar Casinos (View Most Recent)

Great company that really tries to show appreciation of all Team Members.

Former Employee - Casino Services Supervisor in Black Hawk, CO
    Former Employee - Casino Services Supervisor in Black Hawk, CO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Extremely guest service oriented. Generous cash bonuses for Team Member/Leader of the Year, based on performance and guest service. Nurtures positive atmosphere from Team Members. Team Member dining room available daily with payroll deduction; never have to worry about not having a meal for your shift. Great opportunities to move up. They are very open to moving people into different departments.

Cons

I lived in Denver and worked in Black Hawk. The commute was very wearing. Once you get to salary, they ride you like cattle. Expect to work far more hours and make less hourly than your staff.

Pay your middle and upper management their worth.

Terrible how you are treated as an employee

Former Employee - House Person in Council Bluffs, IA
    Former Employee - House Person in Council Bluffs, IA

I worked at Ameristar Casinos part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lunch was $2.50 in the Hot line and Free for the salad bar along with free pop, milk, and juice. Starting pay was good but only a 3% raise (you have to wait a year for one).

Cons

Where do I start? I've been harassed by other employees during my light duty after I injured my back on the job. (I actually had one cussing and yelling that she wished she can "Sit on her ass for 8 hours a day, do nothing, and still get paid!" Directed towards me of course.) Went to my supervisor and hotel director and they had a little talk with the employee, but her high and almighty attitude towards me did not change.

The Point system is awful! If you're a second late, it;s a half point. If your dog passed away, they don't care, it's a point, sometimes a point and a half if you don't call in two hours ahead. It takes a year to get 1 point back and you only get 9 of them a year, so if you make it up to 8.5 and your late one more time, you're done.

And now to the most important part: Why I came here to write this. They don't care if you have EMERGENCY SURGERY!!! They will come up with some excuse as to why they can't grant you personal leave (30 days unpaid, but hey you still have a job!) after you don't qualify for FMLA (you have to be there for a year, I worked there for 8 months), and they will give you a line of bull and tell you to come in and sign a VOLUNTARY form of resignation so you can "be considered rehire-able in the future."

Funny, I get injured on the job and two months later they can't accommodate me after surgery...

Anyways, the management team is condescending towards you if you come to them with a problem. They will give you coachings left and right (at first good to make it seem like youre the best employee ever) and will write you up for the most stupid reasons. (I made the mistake of stacking two tiny boxes on top of each other and I didn't bend right, in front of my supervisor, who also wrote me up for being too slow in productivity my 2nd day back from light duty...Advice: Watch your back!)

Show more Care & Compassion for your Employees!!!!

There are newer employer reviews for Ameristar Casinos