Amgen

www.amgen.com
  www.amgen.com
There are newer employer reviews for Amgen

A good place to do science and make a difference

Current Employee - Scientist in Thousand Oaks, CA
Current Employee - Scientist in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen

Pros

Amgen's #1 corporate value is "Be Science Based" and I don't think it is just lip-service. Internal journal lets me publish (peer-reviewed) papers even in the cases when I'm generating proprietary information. No "head-in-the-sand" attitudes or ignoring of inconvenient data here.

Cons

Like any really big company it can sometimes be easy to lose sight of where your work fits into the larger puzzle. Also a big company problem: some bureaucracy issues.
I've only gotten positive feedback at performance reviews, and I know I'm not a 100% perfect employee (although I think I'm pretty darn good), so it makes me wonder if the review process is completely candid.

Ensure more candor in performance reviews. Everybody has something they can do better, right?

716 Other Employee Reviews for Amgen (View Most Recent)

Great company, great benefits!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen

Pros

Amgen has such a strong pipeline and so many quality products. They are always coming up with innovative ways to do things, which means there is always opportunity within the company. With such a large group of employees, it's very easy to network. The benefits we get are also top notch. Amgen was very supportive of me when I was having medical problems, and I really appreciate everything the company and my co-workers did for me while I was ill. I am definitely proud to work at Amgen, and I would reccommend this company to others.

Cons

Sometimes it takes a little longer to get promoted within your department than it should, which can be frustrating, but I definitely can't argue with the benefits. Sure, the salary might be a little higher at another company, but I don't know anyone else who has such a good 401k package.

Promote people within the company instead of always hiring from outside. In many cases, I have had to train people hired in at a higher level than me even though I had more experience. Recognize the talent you have within, and reward people based on their talent. Yes, sometimes external people bring a new set of experience to the table, but there are already many talented people at the company.
    In general, I appreciate Amgen's benefits and the culture here.

Great place to work ffor

Current Employee - Senior Associate IS Programmer Analyst in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate IS Programmer Analyst in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, work life balance

Cons

Slow growth, no focus on career growth

work on motivating staff, their aspirations

There are newer employer reviews for Amgen