Innovative Science Based Great Campus High Quality Employees

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Thousand Oaks, CA
Current Employee - Senior Associate in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Thousand Oaks campus is beautiful. First class gym, beautiful landscaping and outdoor seating areas. On-site dry cleaning and child care.

Cons

It is very hard to promote at Amgen. Some of the departments are very silohed.

Other Employee Reviews for Amgen

1. Great Interning experience

Current Intern - Summer Intern in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Intern - Summer Intern in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The summer internship program was great, they really put a lot of resources and efforts to make sure all the interns have tons of opportunities to network and relax during the summer. They also organized speaker series to let us understand more about the company itself.

Cons

After working in Genentech for half a year, I could see how Genentech really emphasize on the patients (you could see from the campus giant poster of patients) while I didn't feel the same in Amgen. But it's possible that it was too short for me to look into it (3 months internship)

Between a rock and hard place...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Amgen has a diverse pipeline and a number of promising molecules. It also has one of the best benefits packages in the industry including two 1-week shutdowns each year (in addition to sick/persona/vacation time). For me, it's a short commute, I rarely work long hours or weekends, and I've never been asked to defer a vacation so work-life balance is not an issue.

Cons

As an employee at a remote site, it's disheartening to see people leave the site and not be replaced; mgt seems to be giving the message that they're reluctant to increase head count at the site. Additionally, despite their annual goal to "develop our people", people are leaving because of the "we only promote based on business need"; it's as though the company is trying to have it both ways (talented, walk-on-water employees who remain at the same employment grade and salary), and people aren't buying it.

Advice to Management

Being a presence in the bay area is more than just setting up a site--you have to maintain it and keep head count. Otherwise, morale suffers and there are no shortage of employment options here.