There are newer employer reviews for Amgen

A great place to Work - although there was a lack of a career path

Former Employee - IT Project Manager  in  Thousand Oaks, CA
Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Amgen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company, friendly peers and solid processes. The company treated its employees well and pay was inline with other biotechs. Awesome global HQ in Thousand Oaks.

Cons

Career progression was challenging in IT, especially when the company decided to outsource to IBM. The transition to IBM was a disaster and the CIO had to resign - hopefully things will turn around now.

652 Other Employee Reviews for Amgen (View Most Recent)

Great Interning experience

Current Employee - Summer Intern  in  Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Summer Intern in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The summer internship program was great, they really put a lot of resources and efforts to make sure all the interns have tons of opportunities to network and relax during the summer. They also organized speaker series to let us understand more about the company itself.

Cons

After working in Genentech for half a year, I could see how Genentech really emphasize on the patients (you could see from the campus giant poster of patients) while I didn't feel the same in Amgen. But it's possible that it was too short for me to look into it (3 months internship)

A good place to do science and make a difference

Current Employee - Scientist  in  Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen

Pros

Amgen's #1 corporate value is "Be Science Based" and I don't think it is just lip-service. Internal journal lets me publish (peer-reviewed) papers even in the cases when I'm generating proprietary information. No "head-in-the-sand" attitudes or ignoring of inconvenient data here.

Cons

Like any really big company it can sometimes be easy to lose sight of where your work fits into the larger puzzle. Also a big company problem: some bureaucracy issues.
    I've only gotten positive feedback at performance reviews, and I know I'm not a 100% perfect employee (although I think I'm pretty darn good), so it makes me wonder if the review process is completely candid.

Ensure more candor in performance reviews. Everybody has something they can do better, right?

There are newer employer reviews for Amgen

Worked for Amgen? Contribute to the Community!