There are newer employer reviews for Amgen

A great place to Work - although there was a lack of a career path

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Amgen full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, friendly peers and solid processes. The company treated its employees well and pay was inline with other biotechs. Awesome global HQ in Thousand Oaks.

Cons

Career progression was challenging in IT, especially when the company decided to outsource to IBM. The transition to IBM was a disaster and the CIO had to resign - hopefully things will turn around now.

673 Other Employee Reviews for Amgen (View Most Recent)

Great in the beginning, Amgen's concern for work-life balance is slipping away.

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

New CEO has great ideas about how to get Amgen into a modern mind set and business model. Drugs really help people with catastrophic health issues. Drugs in the pipeline are very promising. Manufacturing of the Future will become a reality at Amgen on a very aggressive timeline. Global expansion is a priority and is happening quickly opening up a lot of opportunities

Cons

Amgen's devotion to operational excellence and lean manufacturing has left them with a dedicated, but exhausted workforce in many areas. Emphasis on metrics and ignoring the actual work place signals regarding workload have dealt a blow to the morale of several departments. There is a lot of middle management doing a lot less than the front line employees.

Keep up the good work when it comes to innovation, but hire people so that your salaried staff don't have to constantly work 60 hour a week or more to keep your projects on track.

Great Interning experience

Current Employee - Summer Intern in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Summer Intern in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The summer internship program was great, they really put a lot of resources and efforts to make sure all the interns have tons of opportunities to network and relax during the summer. They also organized speaker series to let us understand more about the company itself.

Cons

After working in Genentech for half a year, I could see how Genentech really emphasize on the patients (you could see from the campus giant poster of patients) while I didn't feel the same in Amgen. But it's possible that it was too short for me to look into it (3 months internship)

There are newer employer reviews for Amgen