There are newer employer reviews for Amgen

Amgen pays well and helps develop its high performers, but it tolerates its low performers indefinitely

Current Employee - Compliance Senior Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
Current Employee - Compliance Senior Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen

Pros

Amgen allows a lot of flexibility with your work schedule. Middle management is very aware of their employees strenghts and encourages them to seek out opportunities that will match those strengths as well as provide the employee with an interesting challenge. People who work there are fairly laid back, so it can be a pretty fun place to work. The pay and bonuses are great, to say the least. Everyone down the Admin Coordinator receives a yearly bonus roughly 10-30% of the annual salary, with Directors (maybe EDs) making much more than that (in the range of 70-130% in BONUS on top of their already competitive salaries.

Cons

As nice as it is to work somewhere fun, the "fun" factor seems to get in the way of actually getting work done, which I personally find really annoying. The slackers within the company are generally tolerated well, and they are able to use the dreaded "HR" card too often with little cause. For example, if you tell an employee that she hasn't performed her task, it is not uncommon that the employee may cry then take you to HR for being insensitive. The whole issue can turn into a case about how you treated her rather than the initial issue that she wasn't doing her job. I've never seen HR take action on this type of complaint, but it's certainly possible that they may have to if the circumstances are right based on liberal CA law.

Advice to Management

I'd like to see a more aggressive effort taken to get rid of the low-hanging fruit who won't perform their jobs. It annoys those of us who do and therefore have to pick up the slack.

reviews filtered by

Great place to work, but no room for advancement.

Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen

Pros

Great benefits, easy-going environment, people are generally happy.

Cons

Favoritism among employees; these staff get special treatment. Excessive spending even in times of economic downturn.

Advice to Management

Be wary of careless spending.

Pioneering science dramatically improves people’s lives.

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen

Pros

As a member of Amgen R&D, I am driven by the high caliber of science. Amgen discovers, develops, manufactures and delivers innovative human therapeutics. As long as I have known Amgen, I remember it to be a biotechnology pioneer, translating efforts in the lab into safe and effective medicines for patients. It really does have one of the deepest pipelines of any biotechnology or pharmaceutical company out there.

Amgen's innovative spirit is still alive and thriving. We are truly on the cutting edge of biotechnology, and there are many exciting discoveries. Amgen therapeutics have changed the practice of medicine, most recently seen with the promise of Denosumab. More than 15 million patients worldwide have been treated with Amgen products and it is motivating to know that you work at a company that makes a real difference in the world.

Cons

As Amgen gets larger, it needs to work even harder for it to maintain the 'old biotech style'. It grew too fast from 2001-2006 and realized in the last couple years that more people do not directly translate to greater success. However, it must make smart investments in the long term. Denosumab is the direct result of major discoveries in bone biology made by Amgen scientists 15 years ago.

Amgen provides a scientific career path which is very competitive and provides real opportunities for career growth. However, compensation is not always on par with peers in areas outside research and development. Greater incentives will continue to keep the best scientists at Amgen.

Advice to Management

Stay true to Amgen's core strategy, and I think that senoir management is doing so. Continue to encourage and invest in innovation and novel products. Remain the leading independent biotechnology company in the world. Be opportunistic in acquiring new companies.

Amgen’s strategy as stated by Kevin Sharer: includes putting patients first, focusing solely on human therapeutics, investing heavily in our pipeline, fostering a high-performing and diverse workforce grounded in our values, remaining independent by delivering superior value to our stockholders, and striving to be a leader in every therapeutic area we serve.

There are newer employer reviews for Amgen