There are newer employer reviews for Amgen

It was OK -

Current Employee - Senior Associate Scientist
Current Employee - Senior Associate Scientist

I have been working at Amgen

Pros

Amgen is such a large facility. I was really looking for something stable. I was not interested in starting and getting laid off. Hopefully, it is behind all of us

Cons

You can get lost and not get anywhere unless you have a Phd.

Interview was long 7 hours - no lunch break. Nice

672 Other Employee Reviews for Amgen (View Most Recent)

Lesser of (available) evils

Current Employee - Associate in Longmont, CO
    Current Employee - Associate in Longmont, CO

I have been working at Amgen

Pros

Boulder county is not the biotech hot-spot that Massachusetts or California is and Amgen offers the most generous compensation and benefits packages that I have found in the area. I recently had to take a short medical leave and found my coworkers and management very supportive and seemingly genuinely concerned with my well-being.

Cons

Amgen management makes much of their openness to feedback and input from all levels of staff, all the while exhibiting a patronizing attitude toward staff and ignoring that same feedback and input. I feel disconnected from the decisions of management and the direction of the company. Inconsistencies in promotion and compensation decisions between groups has lead to resentments between coworkers, and an unwillingness to promote within my own group has lead to resentment against management.

Amgen has fallen into the pitfalls of large companies by prioritizing bureaucracy over rationality. A smaller, more streamlined company with higher standards for both staff and management would be a higher performing company.

Nervous times at Amgen

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Amgen

Pros

Amgen has a great pipeline and wonderful employee benefits. Working on diverse new drug targets. Fabulous biologics production capabilities. Expect approval of new drug in Q4 '09.

Cons

Layoffs are happening quitely. More jobs are being outsourced. Hiring and promotions are frozen. There is lots of talk about individual development, but no budget and no promotional opportunities.

Make faster more transparent decisions. Enpower decision making at lower levels. Current focus on compliance is more about box checking than quality.

There are newer employer reviews for Amgen