There are newer employer reviews for Amgen

Long time Contract Worker for Amgen in multiple roles

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Thousand Oaks, CA
Current Employee - Account Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The campus is quite beautiful.

Cons

Very poor culture for contract workers. There is a general lack of respect for contracted employees. I am very good at my job and am taking my knowledge and experience elsewhere. After so many years (7+) of giving the highest level of service, I am leaving to preserve my self respect.

Clean house. There are far too many FTEs with little to no productivity. I would bet good money that my work is credited to FTEs on Performance Evaluations.

658 Other Employee Reviews for Amgen (View Most Recent)

Great company, but the corporate culture is horrible

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, good work-life balance, good salary. The current management is doing a pretty good job of bringing the company back to prominence.

Cons

Corporate culture. Sub-par performance is tolerated. You don't become the best Biopharmaceutical company in the world by holding on to the people that hold you back. I would bet that at Amgen about 10% of the people do 95% of the work.

Also, there is a huge discrepancy in how people are treated and respected. In the science arena, contract workers are treated with respect and appreciation. However, on the business side, in general, contract workers, who do a lot of important things are highly mistreated and not respected. They do a lot of the positive things that Amgen FTEs take credit for and yet they are treated like underlings. I know HR tries to control this, but they need to try do a better job. People are scared to say anything because they think they will just be shown the door (which they will).

Both of these things are something the company really needs to address to improve the culture.

Get rid of the people that don't perform. They are collecting huge paychecks, doing nothing to add value to the company, and actually sucking the life out of valuable, hard-working employees. If everyone did the "Right Thing" - and this applies to their job and how they treat people, then the corporate culture would be much improved.

Great pay and benefits, but career growth is very slow

Current Employee - Finance Manager  in  Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The company has great pay and benefits and is the most generous in the area. The campus is beautiful and the weather is usually fantastic.

Cons

Once you're in the door, career growth is slow as most hiring occurs from outside to take advantage of the weak economny. Amgen is also the most generous company in the area and there are not many external opportunities that match their benefits and compensation. If you want to grow your career and match your total compensation, expect to relocate.

Don't underestimate the value of tribal knowledge. Many excellent employees have left Amgen to advance their careers, and valuable history and company experience left with them.

There are newer employer reviews for Amgen

Worked for Amgen? Contribute to the Community!