There are newer employer reviews for Amgen

Operations professional, a decade plus and counting

I have been working at Amgen full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities flow out of relationships built through excellent work and team oriented collaboration. The Amgen values align well with my own. I've been fortunate to be in parts of the corporation that hold the values in high esteem. The Thousand Oaks campus is easily taken for granted. Beautiful landscape, a nice gym, and several extensive cafeterias to choose from. On site conveniences like discounted dry cleaning drop off/pick up and car wash are helpful. Time off with 17 or 18 paid holidays (including 1 week summer and winter shutdowns) plus 3-6 weeks vacation time (depending on seniority). I particularly like the shutdowns, because you can actually take time off and not worry about falling behind.

Cons

Amgen doesn't do the best job at recognizing or rewarding top staff. I've seen many examples of staff finding promotional opportunities externally. Upon threat of losing key employees, Amgen then steps up and matches external offers. This seems especially true at executive levels.

"You have to move out (or threaten to do so) to move up".

Empowerment of staff for decision making is a recognized weakness, but I'm happy to see the most substantial effort in over a decade to make real improvements in this area.

In the path toward reaching Amgen's full potential, do not skimp on high performing staff. Be proactive in rewarding staff rather than waiting to match external offers. Continue pushing decision making improvements through the organization.

Remove silos by moving toward general management based product P&Ls that integrate the functions or therapeutic areas more seamlessly. There is little regard for cost or impact of decisions in the commercial organization upon operations or regulatory. The PSTs are anemic (pun intended) without direct budget control and decision making empowerment for products.

680 Other Employee Reviews for Amgen (View Most Recent)

Good Working Culture

Former Employee - Engineer in Juncos, PR
    Former Employee - Engineer in Juncos, PR

I worked at Amgen full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Culture, Benefits, Salary. Resources available.

Cons

Infusion of other old pharma cultures in Puerto Rico operations. Growth.

Re-Establish the culture and values that made Amgen the company it is today.

Great place to work, but becoming more corporate every day

I worked at Amgen full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and work/life balance. Interesting work that makes an impact on people's lives.

Cons

Lackluster middle management and unclear direction for the future

There are newer employer reviews for Amgen