Amgen
www.amgen.com Thousand Oaks, CA 5000+ Employees

Operations professional, a decade plus and counting

I have been working at Amgen full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOpportunities flow out of relationships built through excellent work and team oriented collaboration. The Amgen values align well with my own. I've been fortunate to be in parts of the corporation that hold the values in high esteem. The Thousand Oaks campus is easily taken for granted. Beautiful landscape, a nice gym, and several extensive cafeterias to choose from. On site conveniences like discounted dry cleaning drop off/pick up and car wash are helpful. Time off with 17 or 18 paid holidays (including 1 week summer and winter shutdowns) plus 3-6 weeks vacation time (depending on seniority). I particularly like the shutdowns, because you can actually take time off and not worry about falling behind.

ConsAmgen doesn't do the best job at recognizing or rewarding top staff. I've seen many examples of staff finding promotional opportunities externally. Upon threat of losing key employees, Amgen then steps up and matches external offers. This seems especially true at executive levels.

"You have to move out (or threaten to do so) to move up".

Empowerment of staff for decision making is a recognized weakness, but I'm happy to see the most substantial effort in over a decade to make real improvements in this area.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn the path toward reaching Amgen's full potential, do not skimp on high performing staff. Be proactive in rewarding staff rather than waiting to match external offers. Continue pushing decision making improvements through the organization.

Remove silos by moving toward general management based product P&Ls that integrate the functions or therapeutic areas more seamlessly. There is little regard for cost or impact of decisions in the commercial organization upon operations or regulatory. The PSTs are anemic (pun intended) without direct budget control and decision making empowerment for products.

In my experience, it's a great place to work

Associate Scientist (Current Employee)
Juncos, PR

I have been working at Amgen full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Growth opportunities for those willing accept challenges. Cons: The motivation of employees varries depending on the work area. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Senior Sales Representative

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Rochester, NY

I worked at Amgen full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Awesome benefits probably the best benefits of any company. Cons: Sell or die. Don't expect management to ever have your back. Most of the new managers are only out for number one. Make… Advice to Senior Management: Get back to selling medicine instead of trying so hard… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Amgen.

Worked for Amgen? Contribute to the Community!

Amgen – Why Work for Us?

Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amgen reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Amgen CEO Robert A. Bradway. All reviews posted anonymously by Amgen employees.