Amgen

www.amgen.com

Operations professional, a decade plus and counting

ProsOpportunities flow out of relationships built through excellent work and team oriented collaboration. The Amgen values align well with my own. I've been fortunate to be in parts of the corporation that hold the values in high esteem. The Thousand Oaks campus is easily taken for granted. Beautiful landscape, a nice gym, and several extensive cafeterias to choose from. On site conveniences like discounted dry cleaning drop off/pick up and car wash are helpful. Time off with 17 or 18 paid holidays (including 1 week summer and winter shutdowns) plus 3-6 weeks vacation time (depending on seniority). I particularly like the shutdowns, because you can actually take time off and not worry about falling behind.

ConsAmgen doesn't do the best job at recognizing or rewarding top staff. I've seen many examples of staff finding promotional opportunities externally. Upon threat of losing key employees, Amgen then steps up and matches external offers. This seems especially true at executive levels.

"You have to move out (or threaten to do so) to move up".

Empowerment of staff for decision making is a recognized weakness, but I'm happy to see the most substantial effort in over a decade to make real improvements in this area.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn the path toward reaching Amgen's full potential, do not skimp on high performing staff. Be proactive in rewarding staff rather than waiting to match external offers. Continue pushing decision making improvements through the organization.

Remove silos by moving toward general management based product P&Ls that integrate the functions or therapeutic areas more seamlessly. There is little regard for cost or impact of decisions in the commercial organization upon operations or regulatory. The PSTs are anemic (pun intended) without direct budget control and decision making empowerment for products.

A great place to start your career, gain skills, and move on

Senior Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Amgen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: A lot of autonomy, some incredibly smart people there to learn from, networking is highly encouraged and easy to accomplish, access to directors/executive directors is… Cons: Lots of politics and beating around the bush, slow decision making process, lots of bureaucracy, no clear career pathing (everyone seems to get elevated at… Advice to Senior Management: Put your money where your mouth is and promote those who deserve it and kick out the mediocrity. You have a great thing going at… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Senior Sales Representative

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Rochester, NY

I worked at Amgen full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Awesome benefits probably the best benefits of any company. Cons: Sell or die. Don't expect management to ever have your back. Most of the new managers are only out for number one. Make… Advice to Senior Management: Get back to selling medicine instead of trying so hard… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Amgen.

Worked for Amgen? Contribute to the Community!