There are newer employer reviews for Amgen

Great place to work

Former Employee - Project Associate  in  Thousand Oaks, CA
Former Employee - Project Associate in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Amgen full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wonderful coworkers who became friends

Cons

Work/Life balance can be a challenge

Senior management is very supportive

649 Other Employee Reviews for Amgen (View Most Recent)

Operations professional, a decade plus and counting

I have been working at Amgen full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Opportunities flow out of relationships built through excellent work and team oriented collaboration. The Amgen values align well with my own. I've been fortunate to be in parts of the corporation that hold the values in high esteem. The Thousand Oaks campus is easily taken for granted. Beautiful landscape, a nice gym, and several extensive cafeterias to choose from. On site conveniences like discounted dry cleaning drop off/pick up and car wash are helpful. Time off with 17 or 18 paid holidays (including 1 week summer and winter shutdowns) plus 3-6 weeks vacation time (depending on seniority). I particularly like the shutdowns, because you can actually take time off and not worry about falling behind.

Cons

Amgen doesn't do the best job at recognizing or rewarding top staff. I've seen many examples of staff finding promotional opportunities externally. Upon threat of losing key employees, Amgen then steps up and matches external offers. This seems especially true at executive levels.

"You have to move out (or threaten to do so) to move up".

Empowerment of staff for decision making is a recognized weakness, but I'm happy to see the most substantial effort in over a decade to make real improvements in this area.

In the path toward reaching Amgen's full potential, do not skimp on high performing staff. Be proactive in rewarding staff rather than waiting to match external offers. Continue pushing decision making improvements through the organization.

Remove silos by moving toward general management based product P&Ls that integrate the functions or therapeutic areas more seamlessly. There is little regard for cost or impact of decisions in the commercial organization upon operations or regulatory. The PSTs are anemic (pun intended) without direct budget control and decision making empowerment for products.

Awesome place to work, a company focused on improving peoples lives.

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Amgen full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Problem solvers - push decision making to lowest level possible
    Effective Leadership
    Great pay and benefits
    Great People

Cons

Upward mobility is lacking for many people who deserve opportunity for advancement

Retain key talent

There are newer employer reviews for Amgen

Worked for Amgen? Contribute to the Community!