There are newer employer reviews for Amica Mutual

LOW MORALE is currently a HUGE issue, very stagnant place, no room for growth, very low pay, most reps have a 2nd job.

Current Employee - Sales & Client Services Representative
Current Employee - Sales & Client Services Representative

I have been working at Amica Mutual

Pros

Good place for work/life balance and job security, pay is ok right out of college, benefits are okay. National insurer so if you're willing to drop anything and move it can work to your advantage if you would like to experience new horizons.

Cons

Different criteria for promotions based on title, managers get promoted within 6 months to 1 year after hire, reps go through lots of redtape at least 2 to 3 years before 1st promotion. No room for growth, if you start off as a rep very little chance of getting promoted to management. Growth curve is linear, and rather flat. Must be able to relocate in order to grow if you're a manager, like one of the other reviews states home office is very disconnected from branch level, very old school way of thinking, some senior management adds no value to company whatsoever, company stopped expanding their product line ages ago, P&C is a mature saturated market in the US as is, if you wanna grow you have to go abroad, however it may be late to the party at this point, and if you consider the increase in rates recently, the book of business is like a leaky bucket.

Advice to Management

Expand your product line, diversify your growth strategy, look to other players in the market in the same industry, find out what they are doing, how are they growing? Hire a consultant if you have to, Mckinsey, Bain, Boston Consulting...streamline the promotion process for branch employees, pay them what they're worth, this will boost morale, it's not rocket science!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Horrible Place to Work

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Amica Mutual

Pros

-laid back environment -easy job -not many expectations -casual environment -music in the office (most of the time) -free utensils in the kitchen -small cafeterias on site

Cons

-call center -work with incompetent people -they try to tell you they give you good benefits, but they're much better elsewhere -work with people who do not have a high degree of education -you are scolded for thinking outside the box -everything is watched -as a manager you make less than the people who work for you -unappreciated -moved around like a dirty shoe from my sleepy suburb to the next with no compensation -your progression stops abruptly -if you're bright, you will be pushed out for your ideas and suggestions -this company moves at a speed of a turtle -reps are valued more than managers -people openly speak about leaving their jobs -no professionalism -a lot of gossiping in the office -tons of butt kissing going on to move ahead

Advice to Management

Please consider flushing out the current upper management (ie: all the unnecessary VP's/JO's) that really do not add value to the company or the regions they manage. Improve the company by implementing newer/21st century technology, ideology, and forward thinking people. Stop halting the progression of the few bright people who work for you - they're not your enemy - they are the people who will move this company forward when you drive into the ground. Your old way of thinking is ruining this company and the people who work there. You bleed people - especially managers - ask yourself "why?" - and change your way of doing things. Branch managers have no power and are very distant from the people on the floor. JO's are never around and never add value to the branches they manage - most people don't even know who you are. Invest more money into visiting offices, company wide training, manager training, employee training, and spend more on getting people promoted. Your turnover is high and it keeps getting worse. You're headed in the wrong direction and toward failure. I left the company with a happy heart that I would be doing much greater and bigger things than I've ever done at Amica. I am happy to say that there are companies out there that exist and follow a completely different ideology in operating and treating their managers/directors. I wish I could thank you for the time I've spent at the Company, being moved around, and finally only unfairly and without cause tortured by your untrained upper "branch" management. I understand smart, educated people can really intimidate - but intimidating them as a retaliation is dirty, nasty, and disguising. I wish that who ever reads this thinks twice about this company.

Play their game and get ahead, try to have a life, get sidelined.

Current Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster
    Current Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster

I have been working at Amica Mutual

Pros

Financially stable company, excellent benefits, good paperless claims file technology. Good place to start. I have been around for over 20 years and learned a lot. Hanging on for a few more, then plan to move on and work independently, perhaps for Amica, as a large loss and CAT adjuster. That is where the money and the freedom is.

Cons

Amica views it's employees as mere pawns on a home office driven chess board. You will get promoted, even if you are not all that good at your job, if you move all around the country at their beck and call. Try to put down roots and raise a family and you are blackballed and sidelined. I Pathetically incompent people are kept on board which brings down morale as the performers have to carry the load. They are like cancer and need to be removed, but the company buries it's head in the sand and lets them carry on. Accounting background CEO. Nice guy, but staffing is not adequate to keep up with the seemingly endless supply of crap business that the Sales side is writing. Amica is like the Titanic. Beautiful ship, thought to be unsinkable at the time and we know how that went. Time to change course folks. Sales needs to be accountable for the loss experience they are incurring with the new business.

Advice to Management

Recognize the cost of overworking claims employees. We are the financial gatekeepers after all. I probabably spent an extra half a mil at my desk alone pushing claims off to keep from drowning. "Overpay and close" is the motto as we grind out the 60 plus hour workweeks. Sales needs to wake up and stop with the "grow at any cost" mentality. Amica used to be a preferred risk company that sought and kept good business. Now it will write anything with a pulse. Amica's combined ratio (profit margin/loss on premiums) is at $1.20 currently. We are paying out 20 cents more than we take in on every premium dollar. That should set off alarm bells. Hold sales accountable for the crap business they write.