There are newer employer reviews for Amlin

Good but not a long term career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in City of London, England (UK)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in City of London, England (UK)

I worked at Amlin

Pros

good reputation, highly regarded. Very good place for an underwriter.

Cons

No career progression. Very top heavy. Only good for underwriters. Many school leavers and not many professionals. Not very innovative. Good jobs for "right" people only not very merit based.

Advice to Management

Need to think on wider implications of how you run the place. Your still a small company.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. I´m working in a very motivated team

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamburg (Germany)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamburg (Germany)

I have been working at Amlin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The working atmosphere is very great, motivated team players makes the days better, successful strategy, modern offices, top management, good reputation in the market

Cons

IT department and IT systems are very poor, Amlin lost chances. The focus on lowest costs is to strength, internal meetings should be less frequently in this busy time.

Advice to Management

Let the IT stuff go and hire experts, invest in contemporary IT programs/software.

2. Good individuals, but management is confused.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in London, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in London, England (UK)

I worked at Amlin as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked here for a month as part of a short term contract. I liked the people, they were very social and helpful. The work and staff were of a high professional standard.

Cons

Some (small amount of) management were pretty useless (talked a good game, stole other peoples ideas etc, and didn't add anything of value), but this is nothing new for many companies. Whilst I was there a department was moved out of the main office - this seemed to have been done with very little empathy, and a lot of 'constructive dismissal' plans. Management were not seen on the floor at this point, only HR people with no power. Management has a lack of contact with staff. Possibly 'standard' (i.e. not good, but not unknown) for a company of this size. The morale of the office tumbled whilst I was there, not surprisingly. Departments were frequently overworked. Good people were allowed to take too much responsibility, leading to potential "under a bus" risk, and personnel burn out. Cost cutting was hurting the effectiveness of the staff, leading to low morale, people being overworked, high staff turnover etc. I'm sure that it looked good on a balance sheet somewhere though.

Advice to Management

If you treat your staff as human beings, then you won't go far wrong. Have frequent (and real) contact with staff (big group meetings with 'Marketing' bullet points preaching to staff aren't what I mean). High staff turnover and burnout is hurting your company - is a new employee (recruitment costs, not as productive as an experienced employee etc.) better than keeping a current/experienced employee happy (with low cost things like respect, flexible working practices, good management at all levels)? High calibre/experienced staff are important, and cannot be replaced with low calibre/unexperienced staff, without an impact (probably untraceable to staff quality) on the bottom line. Typical accountancy led management practices that I've seen in hundreds of companies that I've worked for are not differentiating your company (and bottom line) from the average.