Amplify

www.amplify.com
  www.amplify.com
There are newer employer reviews for Amplify

technology company run by a teacher and a lawyer

Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Brooklyn, NY
Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Amplify full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As long as I work here, I feel like I have a chance to improve the state of education and help poor kids overcome the economic achievement gap.

Cons

Drive-by management from C-levels. Pretty clueless senior product management. Several internal divisions are in silos, seemingly by intent, leading to reinvention of many wheels. One division is further silo'd into boutique studios that are barred from collaborating. Nepotism. Budgets designed to protect friends at the expense of project success.

61 Other Employee Reviews for Amplify (View Most Recent)

Great place, work satisfaction and great engineers

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Amplify full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You are working to improve the way kids learn and teachers teach. You work impacts millions of life everyday

Cons

Not great management. Slower innovation rate

Need to move fast. Innovate fast and push the team

Amazing Initiative that is well funded and attracts innovative top talent

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Amplify full-time

Pros

There are some very smart people working there and they set the bar pretty high for their technology hires. Their technology set is cutting edge, utilizing cutting edge open source tools and agile methodology. The "Tablet" Manhattan division (Amplify Access) is way kool and they are an amazing group that have maintained an agile start-up culture. The VP of Engineering is about as good as a resource/leader as you can get to be orchestrating this amazing product.

Cons

I think the challenge when you have a strongly supported initiative that is growing fast, you experience growing pains. I think it's important for HR management to have a high vision rather than a limited micro-management "compliance" approach. This is crucial in establishing the right programs and foundation for continued growth of the organization as a whole. Without a bird's eye view, this is impossible. Also HR is responsible for creating and supporting a modern, friendly and fun culture for the entire organization.

Keep a consistent cutting edge "start-up" culture throughout the entire organization across the different locations and divisions. And most importantly have the HR culture and leadership match that!!

There are newer employer reviews for Amplify