Ampush

www.ampush.com
  www.ampush.com
There are newer employer reviews for Ampush

Great Company, Great Colleagues, Great Experience

I have been working at Ampush full-time

Pros

The culture at Ampush is one of the company's strongest pros. It's one of empowerment and autonomy, where people are regularly given opportunities to "punch above their weight class". Colleagues are top notch and management is willing to give you as much responsibility as you've proven you can shoulder. Great environment to drive impact and start or grow your career.

Cons

The main con is inexperience, this is mainly due to the fact that the company skews younger, which can lead to a sense of re-inventing the wheel at times. The flip side of this con, is this creates a very participatory environment where everyone builds a solution together.

Ampush isn't for everyone. People who thrive here tend to deal well with ambiguity, be long on initiative, look to add value vs "do their job", and work damn hard.

Keep the bar high and maintain culture as you scale.

19 Other Employee Reviews for Ampush (View Most Recent)

Great Place

I worked at Ampush

Pros

It's a fun place to work with a lot of cool people who care about what they're doing. Definitely a good experience.

Cons

When I worked there they were growing fast. The growing pains resulted in occasional miscommunication or disorganization.

Very young company with a solid foundation, but lots of room for improvement.

Former Employee - Lead Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ampush full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working here is like working somewhere else X5. You will gain great knowledge and experience that it will catapult you to the next level in your career. The people that you work with are incredibly smart and talented. You are pretty much expected to take rein on things with not too much direction, but from a learning perspective, being thrown in an environment like that is huge. Ampush's culture is one of the strongest I've seen, but it is also a young culture so a lot of the activities are geared to what you probably were doing in your 20s.

Cons

I came into a very early start up environment and over time I got burned out. The deadlines put on me were non-stop to the point where I felt like I was more of a machine than a contributing member of the team. My team and I were not really given a chance to go through a proper design process, which is okay for some projects, but for others it was desperately needed. An example of this was turning out comps for a major project and only having a couple of days to get them a hi-fi mock for a brand new product. Another example is, we were brought in on projects at the last minute and expected to crank something out by EOD, and we get copy that doesn't necessarily work for the format they were requesting it to be in. As a result, final projects were not done in as high of a quality, as they should be, which can really hurt a growing brand. This, combined with long hours (10-12 is considered normal working hours for them), and not a lot of room to unplug and reset, lead me to start looking for other opportunities elsewhere. They are pretty conservative about their promotions, and it can be challenging if you don't perfectly fit the mold they are looking for, and there are times where you will need to be your own advocate, without forcing it on upper management.

A better work/life balance is needed than the environment that was in place when I was there. Establish better processes, where things are not constantly thrown on you at the last minute, to allow for the best possible product to be put out. Really listen to your employees when they are unhappy and keep checking in with them to ensure their needs are met (especially if you want to keep them). Trust that you have the right people in place and let their expertise shine, because when it does, you get an amazing product that you constantly brag about.

There are newer employer reviews for Ampush