There are newer employer reviews for Amtrak

Great place to work. But no room for advancement

Former Employee - Electrician in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Electrician in Washington, DC

I worked at Amtrak full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Since being at Amtrak, I have moved around into different job areas. Although, you tend to get use to doing a certain thing and become comfortable, a new experience is always a welcome change. Although my job title has not change, I held many positions at the company and succeeded. Management has been a very supportive role in my achievements and rewarded me for a job well done.

Cons

The hardest part of the jobs have been being changed shifts frequently. For instance, a senior co-worker may decide to change his shift, suddenly you will be forced to choose another shift in order to have a job.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Working for Amtrak is like being in Prison

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Amtrak full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Travel free, Health Benefits and the opportunity to feed and support my family.

Cons

Where does one begin! Never in my life have I worked for such a ass-backwards company. Good hard working employees are misjudged, tossed aside, treated like inmates, humiliated in front of coworkers on a daily basis, stripped of their status and fired for no reason (then claim they have no idea what your talking about when you complain to upper management). A day does not pass where some uneducated manager walks up to you just to let you know how stupid they really are. This does not apply to all managers, usually supervisors who are trying to make themselves seem important.

They have destroyed good hard working employees just to prove a point to the rest of the employees. Someone up there in the ranks should investigate the way some of the supervisors and managers treat labor - its just horrible.

If they like you - you have nothing to worry about
    If they (for what ever reason) don't like you - They can make your life a living hell.

Sometime I get so sick to my stomach not knowing who will walk through that door and unleash their miserable existence on us.

You cant even call for support when you need something from one of these supervisors without them treating you like a step child

Its just a shame - The years i spent at this company I could have been happy somewhere else. Jobs are hard to find these days - so we stay.

Advice to Management

To Late -

Operations Management

Former Employee - Assistant Superintendent, Road Operations in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Superintendent, Road Operations in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amtrak full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting work, the more you put in the more you get out.

Cons

24/7 position, no time to yourself unless you're on vacation.

Advice to Management

Increase salaries for the front line managers who supervise employees.