There are newer employer reviews for Amtrak

Organizational Transition

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Amtrak full-time

Pros

Current desire and willingness to run it like a business and align to corporate strategy and goals. Very good retirement and fringe benefits and competitive IT salary. Safety is number one and concern for environmental awareness.

Cons

The ongoing organizational changes needs clear and effective process and communication plus clarity on new roles and responsibilities are lagging behind.

Advice to Management

New leaders need to communicate better to employees about their new roles and responsibilities and expectations.

reviews filtered by
  1. Many ups and downs

Former Employee - Station Services in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Station Services in Chicago, IL

I worked at Amtrak full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, Good retirement we do pay for it as does the railroad.

Cons

No across the board treatment some employees treated better than others. No direction from senior management, if anything they like to hide and stay away from day to day operations. Also many employees are snitches guess it makes them feel important you will find out otherwise. Just retired employment over 30 years, I was not lazy not in my twenties anymore I am now 60 plus. You would have to be new employee to think those of us who have been around a while are lazy I have seen it in all age groups. We will see how you feel when you reach this stage of your career, if you ever do. Good lock to everyone. !!!!

Advice to Management

Start treating employees with more respect stop treating us as if we need baby sitters, start using the talents you have within, get rid of outside contractors we are a Unionized Organization!!!!!

Senior Manager

I have been working at Amtrak full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits - caveat - now being removed.

Cons

People have been promoted to management from the ranks for the most part and continue to pay their union dues in case they get fired as a manager, and so they do not manage. Antiquated, kept in the past, new ideas are not particularly welcomed, "this is how we've always done it" is the # 1 phrase. The benefits which kept people here are being taken away and as such anyone coming in the door or who have come in the last five years have no reason to stay as they aren't paid market wages. Check the case law if you want to see how adept Amtrak is at violating EEO laws.

Advice to Management

Stop being a social security program. Just because someone has 2 years to retirement doesn't mean they should stay there for those 2 years if they don't perform their job. Find ways to bring in new people without stepping on the toes of those who have been there and are performing (such as actually getting rid of the under performers instead of year after year saying they perform adequate work). Most everyone I know is looking for a position elsewhere. Additionally, be honest about where the company is going.

There are newer employer reviews for Amtrak