There are newer employer reviews for Amyris

It's like high school.

I have been working at Amyris

Pros

Overall, the employees are warm and friendly. There are so many personality types that you're bound to find people you identify with.

Cons

Amyris is overstaffed, particularly in the higher levels of the organization. The company spends frivolously while we are not profitable and have a very negative cash flow. Lastly, the managerial staff have little to no experience is supervising another person which allows for office politics to become easily involved.

Reduce the weight of the organization but not at the expense of the folks who are truly running the science. Re-evaluate managerial positions and re-train those who need assistance.

21 Other Employee Reviews for Amyris (View Most Recent)

Getting Better

Current Employee - Research Associate in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Amyris

Pros

The work we do here at Amyris is amazing and once we have all of our products and goals ready to share with with the world we will change the future of synthetic renewable petroleum alternatives and help reduce this planets carbon footprint. There are also many other ways in which we are working to make a positive impact in today's society, and it is great to be a part of this work. There are also a great number of extremely intelligent people to work with and design new experiments and hypotheses with, and it is a very interesting and innovative environment to participate in.

Cons

There are some people who are managerial positions who are not appropriate for those roles, and the work of the people who they manage suffers, as well as the work of others around them.

People should be more adequately evaluated for which roles they fill, specifically in regards to supervisor or manager type roles, since they will then be in charge of not only their professional future but also the futures of the individuals who they are put in charge of.

Great science. Change the world. Maybe a pay cut to come here.

I have been working at Amyris

Pros

Top notch science. Creative atmosphere with lots of smart people. We are trying to save the world, and the atmosphere often feels very energetic toward that goal.

Cons

Some middle and senior management are not great. Disengaged and reactionary. The real leadership and vision comes from the science ranks. Unfortunately, there is an enormous discrepancy in pay between the top scientists and management.

Do you really deserve 100x+ the compensation of your managees? 3x, 4x, okay, maybe 10x, but 100x? really? This really hurts morale.

There are newer employer reviews for Amyris