Amyris

www.amyris.com
  www.amyris.com
There are newer employer reviews for Amyris

A fantastic place for cutting edge science and professional growth

Current Employee - Scientist, Research in Emeryville, CA
Current Employee - Scientist, Research in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Amyris

Pros

The research is cutting edge and of the highest quality. The research departments are made up of some of the best I have ever worked with. The work is meaningful and people are very motivated to make a real difference in the world. That brings a level of energy and commitment to the job that is hard to find elsewhere. It is a work-hard, play-hard environment and the employees do have a lot of fun and enjoy nice day to day perks. The daily work experience is generally very rewarding and fun.

Cons

Business side seems top heavy with too many top managers and VP's. Also, there does not seem to be a long-term vision for the research path. There is constant change in priorities and projects.

I agree with another reviewers that senior management is the main issue at Amyris; they need to cut some bloat at the top and most of the senior management do not deserve their inflated salaries. The science at Amyris is phenomenal and the technology will change the world, as long as senior management starts listening to the research groups. They need to develop a long-term research plan and stick with it.

21 Other Employee Reviews for Amyris (View Most Recent)

It's like high school.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Amyris

Pros

Overall, the employees are warm and friendly. There are so many personality types that you're bound to find people you identify with.

Cons

Amyris is overstaffed, particularly in the higher levels of the organization. The company spends frivolously while we are not profitable and have a very negative cash flow. Lastly, the managerial staff have little to no experience is supervising another person which allows for office politics to become easily involved.

Reduce the weight of the organization but not at the expense of the folks who are truly running the science. Re-evaluate managerial positions and re-train those who need assistance.

Getting Better

Current Employee - Research Associate in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Amyris

Pros

The work we do here at Amyris is amazing and once we have all of our products and goals ready to share with with the world we will change the future of synthetic renewable petroleum alternatives and help reduce this planets carbon footprint. There are also many other ways in which we are working to make a positive impact in today's society, and it is great to be a part of this work. There are also a great number of extremely intelligent people to work with and design new experiments and hypotheses with, and it is a very interesting and innovative environment to participate in.

Cons

There are some people who are managerial positions who are not appropriate for those roles, and the work of the people who they manage suffers, as well as the work of others around them.

People should be more adequately evaluated for which roles they fill, specifically in regards to supervisor or manager type roles, since they will then be in charge of not only their professional future but also the futures of the individuals who they are put in charge of.

There are newer employer reviews for Amyris