Amyris
www.amyris.com Emeryville, CA 150 to 499 Employees

Great science, very poor management, too top heavy

(Former Employee)

ProsCoworkers are top notch. The Associate Scientists/RAs are all hard-working and fun to be around. The lab scientists and project leaders are some of the most intelligent, creative, and hard-working people I've met. Just brilliant. Benefits are decent, trying to stay on par with many other tech startups in the area.

ConsThe company retains way too many managers. Many high-level employees are bad at their jobs, many are quite unproductive, and some positions are even redundant. They command large salaries for being good at snaking up the ladder and not advocate for their workers. When layoffs happen, it is almost all salary-cheap, diligent RAs/lab scientists that are forced to leave. The ratio at one point was practically 2 managers to every 1 lab employee. The company shows no loyalty to those who have saved the business through innovation before. Prepare for the pharma treatment.
Upper management is completely disconnected from the science. There is large amounts of politics and dishonesty involved in major decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are going to trim the fat, start higher up the chain. Most importantly, stop selecting for dishonest, selfish, overly-aggressive yes-men/yes-women to be promoted to directors and such. Look for those who have strong technical understanding of the science, advocates his/her employees, gains the trust of those they work with, and develops the talent of the company.

Biotech company with lots of potential

Associate Scientist II (Current Employee)
    Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Amyris full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Amyris has lots of talented scientists and engineers who are… Cons: Upper management who are unfamiliar with technology set up impossible… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

A lot of opportunity, needs more focus

Associate Scientist I (Current Employee)
    Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Amyris full-time for more than a year

Pros: Exciting science with a purpose. Great people, fun work environment,… Cons: Informal communication (rumors), lack of strategic focus, dependent on outside… Advice to Senior Management: Internal communication channels are improving, this has tendency to become old - don't let it. Company needs to place more emphasis… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Amyris.

Worked for Amyris? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amyris reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Amyris CEO John Melo . All reviews posted anonymously by Amyris employees.