Amyris

There are newer employer reviews for Amyris

Top heavy, redundant positions

Current Employee - Associate Scientist II in Emeryville, CA
Current Employee - Associate Scientist II in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Amyris full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people - in a short time period you will find yourself referring to them as your friends and not your coworkers
Great benefits - amazing health coverage, really hard to beat
Relaxed atmosphere - HR probably has a hard time handling that one, but it definitely makes for a fun work day

Cons

Depending on your department and line management you can be in for a very promising or very frustrating portion of your career. Some directors and managers value each new hire and each current employee as an opportunity to better the company, while others just keep going with whatever flow is going on - even if it's a flow of employees leaving for better work. There are quite a few managers that have a strong background in technical knowledge, but are not well equipped to manage a team nor find the value in increasing their management skills to do so.

There are a lot of overpaid, overpromoted individuals that are not capable of performing the duties required for their role. This devalues the promotion and pay increase of individuals that are highly deserving. These individuals often will speak about a lack of motivation to perform above and beyond since other colleagues will gain the same promotion for minimal work. There are also quite a few redundant positions. This group of paid personnel that questionably provides value to the company could be used to benefit the company by providing their services to high impact departmental support roles if pushed in that direction, but the lack of insight from management prevents that.

Look for ways to restructure personnel organization. Just because it worked when the company was <100 people doesn't mean it will work forever. The company changes rapidly, so should the methods of management. Support lower level employees from within the company, there are a lot of bright minds capable of a lot more than Amyris is offering them.

21 Other Employee Reviews for Amyris (View Most Recent)

Great science and lots of work to do and to learn

Former Employee - Scientist I in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Scientist I in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Amyris as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I had to know great people who are doing great science. Amyris is something between industry and academia. Since most people over there, have their first job after the postdoc or grad school, the learning culture is in the air.
    People work long sometimes but it is not crazy.

They have 3 days free lunch, Friday happy hour and Monday breakfast.

Cons

As a contractor, I had issues with how the company decided to renew my contract and the end to end my contract. Till the last minute, nothing was really clear.
    At the time I was there, we had to write monthly report every month as well as weekly update which I found it too much!
    There are many meeting sometimes that can affect how things can be done.

Pushing innovation beyond science.

Former Employee - MBA Summer Internship in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - MBA Summer Internship in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Amyris as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Startup environment. Provide sustainable solutions to areas where the current solutions are not sustainable. Great place to work. Great staff.

Cons

Company still in development stage although had an IPO 3y ago.

There are newer employer reviews for Amyris