There are newer employer reviews for Anderson Merchandisers

Your on your own

Current Employee - Sales Representative
Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Anderson Merchandisers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No one is looking over your shoulder, decent pay for no college education, ability to grow if you get a college education as district management as jobs don't require much job specific skills. Not all people who work at big box stores hate their lives and are bad people, you have potential to build decent relationships. Also, driving sales is becoming less and less important, doing surveys and at least showing you tried goes a long way, you will never get fired for "poor sales", rather, working off the clock, poor dress, or misusing company phone are more likely for discipline.

Cons

management has no clue whats going on on the sales floor, and if you have the misfortune to be a sales rep during a management change it will take months before things run smoothly again. As well, if the manager hired never worked as a sales rep, you are screwed, because he just won't understand what it's like to work in walmart/bestbuy politics. People either grant you floor space for products, help you, or don't care, and management has no understanding of that. It's yes or no depending on the person or day, and there's nothing you can do to change it. Remember when dealing with walmart employees they have no care whether or not you have a good sales pitch to them, they make no commission from it, so no matter how good a salesman you fancy yourself, you will find that this job is not traditional sales job to any degree whatsoever. Oh and btw, commission is a joke, it's cds, dvds, and books... not exactly the best field to get into if you want to make the big bucks.

Not much to say. This company is so corporate it's crazy. And on top of it, incredibly detached from employees as everyone is on their own. All we are to you is a bunch of checkmarks on whether or not a survey was completed. Try to do something to make us feel a LITTLE more human.

185 Other Employee Reviews for Anderson Merchandisers (View Most Recent)

Lots of autonomy and flexibility at work

I worked at Anderson Merchandisers

Pros

Anderson Merchandisers gives a lot of autonomy and flexibility at work. One is free to pursue opportunities one has most interest in and can design their own jobs. There is a good work life balance.

Cons

There is a lack of co-ordination between different departments. Each person is mostly interested in doing their own thing without keeping the overall goals of the organization in mind. People are not very open to change management in the organization.

Easy job, complicated process

Current Employee - Retail Media Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Retail Media Merchandiser

I have been working at Anderson Merchandisers part-time

Pros

I started merchandising in their Best Buy Stores:
    Easy job
    Not much heavy lifting
    Decent Pay
    No micromanaging
    Do not need too much training to do the job at least decently
    You get a 15 minute paid break for 5 hours that you work
    Relatively flexible schedule
    Early morning to get afternoons and evenings off
    Surveys generally easy to take

Cons

Unable to contact supervisor if needed. (The managers at the store hate that because they can't contact either.)
    Some incompetent workers (our full timer was hated by the Best Buy managers at our store for not being professional or doing his job well, yet he received the full time position which also makes him our supervisor, though we were not informed about that part of his job.)
    Promises of high hours when interviewed, and then a dramatic decrease in hours when working. (my boss had about 55 hours a week for the three of us. Then it dropped down to about 20 for two of us.)
    Help Desk is not helpful. (whenever we called them, they could not really fully answer any of our questions...so we stopped calling them.)
    Not enough time to finish tasks they deem necessary.
    You don't take your 15 minute paid break.
    Too many ways to communicate, and we are expected to check them all, usually twice a shift. Information not streamlined.
    At this point, their training seemed insufficient because they may have trained us on tasks, but not on how to deal with managers at the stores. (Ours seem to hate us because we can't finish tasks on time. Instead of going through the proper channels of complaints, they prefer to send up complaints to the top of the ladder, causing more drama than needed.)
    Surveys take forever to finish if you have a lot.

Keep focusing on ways to streamline your communication. It's difficult to feel productive when I have to check multiple different sources of communication which takes up so much time. Also, train us on how to deal with disgruntled managers and trust us when we say we are trying and know that the disgruntled managers are looking for every excuse to kick us out of their store.

There are newer employer reviews for Anderson Merchandisers