There are newer employer reviews for Anheuser-Busch

This is now a financial company that sells beer, plain and simple.

Current Employee - District Sales Manager
Current Employee - District Sales Manager

I have been working at Anheuser-Busch full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The free beer is over blown. If you choose to manage up, sell half baked ideas well and cut throats you will succeed. If you are interviewing for the SMT or GMT program; (if you go into Field Sales) I strongly suggest going into analytical, category/space management positions as these jobs are easily transferrable to other companies who pay much more than AB does. Come here for two years and bail. Most of the SMT/GMT kids have already left, but they likely could have better spent their time if they gained experiences in those departments. If you work in St. Louis: learn to play volleyball and play in the pick up games with the Brazilians. Guaranteed you will get a job you are not qualified for. If outside of St. Louis- manage up, always rent and manage up some more.

Cons

A massive culture gap exist that dictates the culture of the company. This seems to be typical in many European and South American countries. Senior level management approaches managing their employees that each of our jobs are a gift and we should be grateful for what we have...grateful for bonus potential that we have yet to hit, no raises, increased work loads due to high turnover (as well as leaving jobs open for long periods of time to save money), watching as colleagues who spent more time managing up than on their contribution to the team get promoted and you will get a good feeling why no one wants to be here. Sr Mgmt has proven time and time again they are outstanding at cutting cost but incapable of growing share. This will prove true moving forward as taking too aggressive price increases the last 5 years have created a hole too deep to dig out of. For the last three years they have stepped over dimes to pick up pennies focusing on growing high share (a category with no consumer loyalty) over their core consumer (premium and subpremium). Due to pressure from Wall Street, the company is now forced to grow share and stop losing volume. Expect the company to make impulse, cost cutting decisions to hit Wall Street financial goals to salvage not meeting share targets that destroy any chance of you hitting your goals and making bonus due to Sr Mgmt's inability to grow share. Just not in their DNA. There is zero perspective for balance of work/personal life. Morale is very low and any cheering, clapping is largely due to enforced enthusiasm that 90% of employees roll their eyes at. Brazilians came in promoting that it was going to be a true meritocracy for promotions replacing frat house politics but this birthed a new cut throat, brown nose culture only where the best lap dogs get taken care of.

Advice to Management

I candidly think that the people who are capable of improving this company are so burned out (and on their way out) or have left that it is too late. The very best "beer men/women" of this company have been so soul crushed by the company, working for AB is just a paycheck. A major departure from the previous culture. This is now a financial company that sells beer, plain and simple. As it has been said by many: this company loves making money, not sharing it. I've sold all my company stock as it hit 110 (over valued) and I believe many of the smart analysts are realizing they must grow share now- and am not capable of it. The attempts of spending large amounts of money behind half baked ideas to buy share will come to light sooner rather than later. Blame will initially shift to everyone outside of St. Louis until someone asks the intelligent question of, "Did we ask anyone with field experience if this would work before we rolled out (insert Heavy Trade Program)?". Staffing teams full of people with little to no experience has its repercussions. Lastly, for a company that promotes acting like owners, I'd ask the justification of opening an office in Miami that clearly isn't intended for Sr Mgmt entertainment write offs at a "Role Model" level. In the old company, mgmt was a bit more coy with strip club visits and golf club memberships. Sure everyone associated with it is either a 4a or 4b. It will still be a solid stock but I foresee very volatile ups/downs ahead.

Other Employee Reviews for Anheuser-Busch

Manipulative, Lack of Common Sense...Only the Young Survive

I worked at Anheuser-Busch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual work environment, little accountability, free beer once a month.

Cons

All while preaching "One team, one dream", they will deceive and manipulate. I know of several people who were pushed out of their job or gotten rid of in "creative" ways. They will do what they can so former employees cannot collect unemployment. They care only about the budget, but not with a common sense frugality. They will take away the water coolers, but spend money on decorations for the office. They will deny sales reps, signage and POS for their accounts to have in-house posters printed for the meeting room. They hire young, unqualified managers, passing over qualified people who have been with the company for years. They falsify timecards so they don't have to pay OT. It's their way or the highway. When they take over a distributor they change everything, but not for the better. They make everything more complicated and expensive. Our water to the building has been shut off (think no flushing toilets, not water to wash hands), the phones were nearly shut off, the driver's had to get fuel from a much more expensive supplier because they refuse to pay their bills before 120 days. They no longer credit accounts when beer is not delivered or there is breakage - they literally say "it's their word against ours". We have lost many accounts because of this one policy alone. There is no concern for the customer any longer. It's almost as if they do not understand they must actually SEEL beer in order to make money, and in order to make money you need customers/accounts. It has a very foreign feel to it...including important documents that are written with an obvious poor understanding of English.

Advice to Management

If you want to stay in business and not over taken by your competition, actually pay attention the local market...not everyone will buy Budweiser and Stella if you "just push hard enough". Treat your low-level employees like the mean something, because they are doing the REAL work, w/o them there will be nothing FOR you to manage.

My god....worst place I have ever worked....

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Anheuser-Busch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The free beer was nice...I'm sure that will be gone at some point...

Cons

I don't know that I can put it all into words. It was the worst experience of my professional career. First of all I was in IT, which is probably a different experience than 95% of other employees there. I have never been in a situation like this, where literally everyone in my immediate area was incompetent. Most surfed the INET all day or played poker on their iPhones....while complaining how things used to be in the "old" company. I was shocked on a daily bases, by the total lack of professionalism and competence. Mgmt seemed very aloof and unconcerned. They were more interested in keeping their own jobs and meeting documented benchmarks for bonus purposes, which turned into a large paper shuffle, with little or no actual work being done. Don't let the InBev, "we love all of our employees" line, fool you either. Your benefits might be cheap...but InBev is constantly searching for ways to outsource jobs and bring costs down further...so Brito and his ilk can continue to get million dollar bonuses. So enjoy that super cheat health insurance and nice 401k while you can, because you could walk in one day and find out your job got outsourced to Brazil.

Advice to Management

I don't know what to say, if having an army of mindless drones spinning wheels in a constant struggle to squeeze out a $1 worth of production for .20, then hey, great job...