There are newer employer reviews for Animal Logic

Good, with ups and downs throughout. Great projects and location.

Former Contractor - Animator in Sydney (Australia)
Former Contractor - Animator in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Animal Logic as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great quality work, fantastic projects, nice culture, great location, they try to look after their staff, great food, flexible hours.

Cons

Strange software setup for the pipeline, a degree of inaccessibility and disconnectedness with management, reasonably long hours, a lack of encouraging free thinking and creativity at times, easy to get "boxed in" with one talent even if you have many.

Most of us want to be involved in something bigger than just a job, let us! Ask us what you can do along side us to help grow the creative culture and if some of us are looking to grow as artists and film-makers, encourage us. Help facilitate short films and help open doors to nurture out talents and feel like we are a part of something with meaning that is growing and moving forward. Overall though, there are many many great things about Animal Logic, you do an amazing job.

reviews filtered by

Top Heavy rigid company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Animal Logic full-time (more than a year)

Pros

generally high quality finished product.

Cons

Very serious company. Fun is not encouraged. You have to act very serious to be taken serious. Some of the best talents in the world have been there but left because they were banging their heads against a wall of people in top positions who aren't at the top of their game and spend most of their efforts convincing the boss they're better than the amazing talents coming through.
    Its a very hard glass ceiling.
    The high end work comes at a price. A tonne of money is usually spent on superfluous detail and the most complex and rigid CG pipeline you'll be unlucky to ever experience.

Weed out the hacks in top positions to be taken serious by high end professionals.
    Pay attention to story. It's the backbone of a good movie. You're known for being very good at polishing turds.

Losing potential, talent and reputation

I worked at Animal Logic

Pros

- lots of in-house tools and good computers to work on
    - some talented and friendly people working there
    - food for breakfast and some lunches/dinners
    - Sydney Australia summer is incredible!

Cons

- unrealistic schedules
    - lots of network and system crashes cost time and ruin work
    - bad decisions repeatedly cost lost work and hours away from family
    - lots of internal politics that can make life miserable
    - some promotions and decisions are based on politics and not what is deserved
    - people making bad decisions are not punished or fired, and even get promoted!
    - a lot of talented people left because of all these problems mentioned
    - isolated location away from fair-priced or good food

Animal Logic used to do amazing work, but the direction they are heading in recent years is away from the success and reputation they once had. People that left unhappy will not return until big changes take place to make it as good as it once was

There are newer employer reviews for Animal Logic