Ann Taylor

www.anninc.com

Awful and unrealistic

Current Employee - Sales Associate
Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

Management generally gives me days off when I request them.

Cons

Their most recent revamp in dress code is absurd. There is no communication on what is acceptable dress code. Ann Taylor sells black, gray, beige/khaki, and white tops and pants or skirts. However, wearing black dress pants and a white blouse, even if they were purchased from Ann Taylor is not considered acceptable dress code. I wore boots today ---ones which I had worn all winter and were approved of by management-- because it was chilly and was informed today that this isn't acceptable under the new dress code.

They want people to wear fluorescent yellow and "caliente coral." However, they have no consideration for their employees. For nearly every other sales associate I know, myself included, this is their second job. The colors they want us to wear that are in store set are absolutely not acceptable for my other job as I work in a very conservative field. If I showed up wearing some of these early-90's fluorescent, uber-bright highlighter type colors, I would be laughed at and potentially lose my "real" job; as is the case for many others. I always dress professionally, but this is never enough.

Their dress code demands are so extreme that you must essentially buy new clothes every month in order to conform, however, I am not working a second job because I have the luxury of purchasing many new items every time store set changes. If it's between eating lunch and buying a blouse, I'm going to pick lunch every time.

Lastly, every time I ask for advice on what to wear, I am told "No all-neutral" outfits and wear "what looks like store set" with no further guidance. The dress code isn't written down or posted everywhere and they're attempting to be strict, but vague. It's all about what you're not allowed to wear with no guidance on what you can wear.

Lastly, they have clearly set their credit card goals so high. They keep pushing up our goal to open new credit cards each month, yet obviously have not taken into account that in this economy no one wants a new credit card and when a store fails again and again for over a year, it is corporate's unrealistic expectations that are causing the problem, not the store and it's employees.

If you want us to "look the brand," and have an extremely stringent dress code which forces employees to wear color palettes which change from month to month, then you have to provide some additional compensation in order for employees to make these purchases.

Other reviews for Ann Taylor

Simple College Job

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

Discount, leadership, pay, training, management

Cons

Hours - didn't offer employees enough hours

Limit the number of employees

Ann Taylor is a great company to work for they care about development.

Pros

They care about development, but do not care as much about a balance of work and life. There is great communication but sometimes they expect you to do a lot on limited payroll.

Cons

Management is good, but sometimes can be unreasonable about workload. The best thing to do is learn to prioritize and be very decisive.

There are newer employer reviews for Ann Taylor.

Worked for Ann Taylor? Contribute to the Community!