There are newer employer reviews for Ann Taylor

Ann Taylor LOFT: Great company that values its employees

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Grand Rapids, MI
Former Employee - Sales Lead in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If our store met our goals for the month, we would get $50 to spend on every employee, so sometimes we would spend it to go out to a fancy dinner together, or we would just buy a Visa gift card for everyone. The management team and associates were very friendly and easy to work with. Each employee goes through training as well as job shadowing so that they will be prepared for their job - unlike many of the companies that I've worked for, who just throw you into the madness! There are lots of opportunities for growth in this company: one girl I worked with started out as a sales associate, was promoted to sales lead after a couple months, and became co-manager before she had even been with the company for a year. The hours were very flexible, and my manager was willing to work with my schedule and give me any time off for vacations that I had.

Cons

There are only two full-time positions in the whole store: co-manager and store manager. The sales leads (who are essentially assistant managers) get anywhere from 25 to 35 hours per week, and most associates were only getting 10 to 15 hours per week. Also, there is a lot of pressure in soliciting credit cards. Each store has a credit card goal per month and the higher-ups get VERY angry when you don't meet the quota! Another thing I didn't like were the hours. As a sales lead, I didn't mind working the opening shift from 9 to 5:30, but I hated working the closing shift 12:30 to 9 because it felt as if I didn't have time to run errands or relax after work.

The management team I worked with was a very strong and encouraging one, so I guess I'll just say keep a positive attitude so your employees will stay positive too!

733 Other Employee Reviews for Ann Taylor (View Most Recent)

Enjoyed It

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Natick, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Natick, MA

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great coworkers, higher class of customers, pretty good hours. Good discounts, though I've heard from current employees the discounts have gotten worse.

Cons

No real room for growth. Pay decent for a retail job, but still was a retail job. Had to wear the clothes, which took some of the paycheck.

Be present in the stores more often. In my entire time with the company, I only met someone higher than the store manager once.

Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Ann Taylor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Store Managers act as true business owners
    -Hire and train your own staff
    -Flexibility in scheduling
    -Fun to style clients
    -Great Discount

Cons

-Mall traffic continues to decline as online sales increase
    -Returns accepted at the store from online negativity effect the stores revenue
    -Working weekends and holidays
    -Close proximity to a small staff is bound to stir up drama and confrontation
    -Must wear "current" styles. The product life is only about 4-6 weeks before it is no longer "current"

There are newer employer reviews for Ann Taylor