Ann Taylor LOFT: Great company that values its employees

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Grand Rapids, MI
Former Employee - Sales Lead in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If our store met our goals for the month, we would get $50 to spend on every employee, so sometimes we would spend it to go out to a fancy dinner together, or we would just buy a Visa gift card for everyone. The management team and associates were very friendly and easy to work with. Each employee goes through training as well as job shadowing so that they will be prepared for their job - unlike many of the companies that I've worked for, who just throw you into the madness! There are lots of opportunities for growth in this company: one girl I worked with started out as a sales associate, was promoted to sales lead after a couple months, and became co-manager before she had even been with the company for a year. The hours were very flexible, and my manager was willing to work with my schedule and give me any time off for vacations that I had.

Cons

There are only two full-time positions in the whole store: co-manager and store manager. The sales leads (who are essentially assistant managers) get anywhere from 25 to 35 hours per week, and most associates were only getting 10 to 15 hours per week. Also, there is a lot of pressure in soliciting credit cards. Each store has a credit card goal per month and the higher-ups get VERY angry when you don't meet the quota! Another thing I didn't like were the hours. As a sales lead, I didn't mind working the opening shift from 9 to 5:30, but I hated working the closing shift 12:30 to 9 because it felt as if I didn't have time to run errands or relax after work.

Advice to Management

The management team I worked with was a very strong and encouraging one, so I guess I'll just say keep a positive attitude so your employees will stay positive too!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Not looking to be innovative

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Ann Taylor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job is a great schedule and great benefits. The location is an easy commute and the work is fine if you enjoy fashion and monotony. The company values are good and understand you have a life outside of work.

Cons

It's very difficult to move up. You have to fight to get promoted and even if you are deserving and it's acknowledged it still may not happen. Even though my coworkers and I are on the younger side our new and innovative ideas aren't taken into consideration. It's very estrogen heavy.

Advice to Management

Management is on the older side and somewhat stuffy so great innovative somewhat risky ideas aren't given much consideration. The company values are good and the charity work is great. The office is almost all women which for me isn't ideal. The office culture is pretty reserved and corporate, not the most fun.

2. Some of the managers were great, others were absolutely horrific

Former Employee - Ann Taylor LOFT Sales Associate in Lakewood, CO
    Former Employee - Ann Taylor LOFT Sales Associate in Lakewood, CO

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The clients you get to work with are typically very sweet and kind and understanding. If you are going to work retail it is best to target a more mature women's clientele.

Cons

The management there is inconsiderate of personal issues and do not care about you as a person. They look at you and only see the numbers that you are bringing in for that day. It does not matter if you exceeded sales goals for weeks prior, if you slip up one day they get pissed off.

Advice to Management

Be more considerate of your employees.