PR work that matters

I worked at Antenna Group

Pros

Working at Antenna gave me the opportunity to learn more about my communications craft and apply it to work that I truly care about. The company¹s dedication to evangelizing clean technologies brings a sense of purpose that makes you want to do your best work. The education gained at Antenna is a great foundation for the rest of my career. I was sad to leave but my personal life required it. I¹d probably be working there today if I still lived in the SF Bay Area.

Cons

Part of why everyone there is so smart, hard working and friendly is that the culture has a low tolerance for people who aren¹t. If you can¹t take initiative, carry your own weight on teams and speak up with questions, you won¹t last long at Antenna. --

Advice to Management

Hold on to your people, you train them well but end up losing them to larger companies that pay them more to think less.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. PR with a mission

I worked at Antenna Group

Pros

PR wasn’t even on my career radar until I came across Antenna. I liked the emphasis on the mission: promoting green, clean, sustainable technology. That turned out to be authentic. Also, Melody was willing to take a chance on someone without a PR degree. I was able to gain great experience in technology-based buiness The pace was fast and the work was stimulating. The culture was friendly. The client companies (some of them new-ish tech innovators) could be pretty unpredictable . (Except they always wanted more than they were paying for: that part was predictable). My managers did try to shield me from the craziness. Melody actually dropped a client (you could say, "fired'"them) when a key manger there was mean to me. He apologized. We went on to do award-winning work for that client. The person even showed up again later at another company , and hired us again. Looks like toughness won respect. I occasionally worked late but it wasn’t an expectation, just a matter of pride in doing a good job. On the whole, my time at Antenna was a rich phase of my life and a great foundation for my career, which is thriving. I'm grateful for the opportunity. I consider the partners to be my friends for life.

Cons

Now that I’m no longer at an agency I can see how much calmer life is on this side. Some clients don't treat agencies as well as they deserve. It’s a tough way to make a living unless you crave the variety and intellectual stimulation. But it’s an incredible education and, unlike grad school, they pay you.

Advice to Management

Keep being quirky and creative; keep hiring people with an unorthodox range of background. Don't get conventional and start insisting on PR degrees Also, stick with the green, values-based approach. It might be tough in the recession, but it will be a winner.

2. Interesting and compelling work in a quirky environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Antenna Group

Pros

If you're looking for a corporate PR experience, we probably won't get along with you too well at Antenna Group, but that's one of the aspects I like most. There's not a lot of hand holding; instead there's a great deal of trust in the employees' intelligence and capabilities. You often get the feeling that management is a collaborative experience, and while that is not the best environment for all, it is compelling for those who are motivated and engaged. We're also pretty picky about what companies and technologies we work with. For the most part, employees are excited and motivated to support the companies we represent and are proud of their accomplishments. I am very pleased that we work with brilliant technologists that are making significant changes to our environment, no greenwashing business here.

Cons

The turnover at Antenna has been a hard thing to deal with. I suppose its common both for PR and a symptom of the recession, but the firm should definitely work more strongly on employee retention measures.

Advice to Management

Some employees benefit from transparency of practices, but not all. Management should be more weary of when and how is a suitable time to involve teams.