There are newer employer reviews for Aon Hewitt

Work smart and work hard

Former Employee - Financial Services Manager  in  Charlotte, NC
Former Employee - Financial Services Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Aon Hewitt full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Team was friendly, nice building, great manager, work was challenging and engaging. As long as you gave your best effort and your performance assessments were showing that you were exceeding expectations, your effort will be recognized and you will get promoted. many opportunities for growth. great pay and benefits.

Cons

long commute, middle management and upper management sometimes were not in sync, usual bureaucracy

1172 Other Employee Reviews for Aon Hewitt (View Most Recent)

Beware

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Aon Hewitt full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you know the right people you will get promoted quickly into different positions. They have a cafe and Starbucks on site. They have parking close to the building if your carpooling or pregnant. They have 401k company match up to 6% I believe and pretty good health and welfare benefits. You meet a lot of great smart people.

Cons

Time off policies for customer service are based off the companies service levels that you are assigned to, so they often block days. All the managers who manage customer service associate are different, even though they claim they follow the same guidelines as one another. Micromanagement is an issue. They do tuition reimbursement for degrees and when you graduate they don't even utilize you. Interviewers for jobs are so different because it's people from the team like a manager, client manger, ect. So some are looking for the most qualified and some hire people with no experience. Depending on the team you are on you are limited to growth potential because you don't get any projects and trainings that can help you advance like other teams may be offerded. Also management is not helpful in allowing you to grow in the company they act like they want you to stay in the same position the whole time your employed. You also see alot cliques within the company. They also pay less than there competitors for similar positions but will work you like a dog. They promote work life balance but then you can't take off, and if you call in your looked down upon by other associates and managers. They have lost a lot of talented people do to a lot of these things.

Stop micromanaging associates that do not need it. Learn to talk to your employees with respect like you value them. Learn to utilize and promote your qualified and educated employees. Practice what you preach.

Great company for some people, not for me.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Aon Hewitt full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent benefits, decent pay, great co-workers.

Cons

When I started with this company it was just Hewitt. At that time they had just went public, (I believe that was the downfall of Hewitt and it's employees). Hewitt used to be a very employee oriented company. They provided excellent low cost benefits, free meals and more opportunity for advancement. When I started there, they had just gotten rid of the free meals. They still provided a discount for employees and free milk and juice. It didn't take long for that to stop as they had become public they had to feed the fat cat stock holders. As time went on, they took away our hour lunch and turned it into a half hour. They raised the price of the meals so that it was more expensive to eat in the building but then you didn't have enough time to go off campus and get back to eat. When it came to the actual job they put more and more restrictions. It became very difficult to advance from the phones because if you had certain skills and they needed you in that position, they would not allow for your advancement. I had a friend that actually had to quit and get rehired in another role because even though she was well qualified for a higher role, they wouldn't give it to her because they needed her to be on the phones. That isn't a fair situation for a hard working employee. Its really not what you know but who you know, when it comes to advancement from customer service. Every year they hire temporary employees, "train them" quickly and badly and then leave it up to permanent employees to clean up the mess they made for the next 6 months. For customer service there is no life work balance. You are given sick days but you better know in advance when you are going to be sick because you have to request time off in advance. and then you probably won't get approved. They have a points system and if you are out a certain number of days for whatever reason you are at risk of losing your job. As a CSA you are expected to be chained to the desk for at least 90% of the day. Probably more now. I could honestly go on and on about how terrible this company is for the customer service position. Other positions however, are great. In some positions you are given a computer and allowed to work from home. If I had a position like that I would probably still be there. So bottom line is, working for Aon Hewitt may be great for some positions but in my opinion, not CSA. Good luck to all.

Lower management is okay, Upper management is out of touch and very typical corporate. I have no advice for them as I'm sure they don't care.

There are newer employer reviews for Aon Hewitt

Worked for Aon Hewitt? Contribute to the Community!