I'll be here at least four more years...

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Houston, TX
Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Apache full-time

Pros

There is plenty of work to do. Very laid back office environment; private offices are even given to those in positions that wouldn't normally have one. If your like me and enjoy learning different aspects of the business, your encouraged to learn and many are willing to teach. Benefits are some of the best in the industry. Most managers are competent and approachable. My manager in particular is great, this person encourages us to have a proper work-life balance, doesn't micro manage (as long as we get our work done), will fight for us, and etc.

I like Apache, I feel the direction they are headed in is the right way to go even though the environment isn't in their favor right now. I have a personal goal of being in a certain position within four years, but they haven't won me over enough to stay if I haven't reached it by that time.

Cons

Similar to what another review pointed out, in some areas a few people do all the work while others share the rewards, I would say 50/50 split. I can easily get a higher salary and bonus elsewhere, but the benefits balance this to some degree... Each region/area and tenured employee has their own way of doing things-because some managers don't have a backbone- which makes having a structured work environment difficult.

I know employees that have should be promoted only to be overlooked by people brought in because they look better on paper and in person. Some managers are blinded by favoritism: college, interests and etc. One was such a staunch supporter of their Alma Mater that they would only interview and hire individuals from that university...

My initial training was pretty bad... I don't understand why people are coupled with those that are poor teachers and/or obviously don't care to train.

Some of the "old heads" need to go or be set straight, they do nothing for this company except push away talented employees as they wait for retirement; they aren't willing to learn proper procedures and etc, some managers need to build the courage to address this...

Compensation needs to be raised to retain and compete with other firms. Managers need to do a better job in vetting employees, often at times people are onboarded because they look good on paper and in person, but their work says otherwise.

To touch on the 50/50 again... I had applied to positions at APA for quite some time before I was was brought on, which is understandable because I had an average resume. But fast forward to now, even with my limited experience with the company, I know more and perform better than most employees at the same level and higher... If you want to keep people like myself around, don't overlook your current employee pool for promotions...

Again, I like APA, but you haven't shown me enough to stay if another opportunity comes by. I've seen people overlooked for promotions, the only loyalty I've seen is to those that have been with the company for quite some time, even the poor performers, which is the issue.

Other Reviews for Apache

Marketing Analyst

I have been working at Apache full-time

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Long term incentive not very good

Needs improvement

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Apache for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are decent if you stay long enough for them to vest. Not hesitant to give you work responsibility. You have to put in a lot of hours, but its pretty laid back. Nice offices. I had a very nice boss.

Cons

10% of people do 90% of the work. Some people do absolutely nothing and still receive the same bonus as everyone else. Little opportunity for advancement. Hard work not rewarded. You will work extra hours. You will not get the yearly bonus that they tell you to expect in your offer sheet. Small raises (2 or 3%). Very little work life balance.

Reward your top performers or they will leave! Get rid of the people who do nothing. Promote the people who deserve it. Its 2013, time to give out corporate credit cards and not make people fill out expense reports every time they need to be reimbursed. At the very least automate the process.

There are newer employer reviews for Apache.

Worked for Apache? Contribute to the Community!