There are newer employer reviews for Apache

Apache: Demanding and Rewarding.

Current Employee - Geologist in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Geologist in Houston, TX

Pros

Apache is a company that will allow you to develop a wide range of skills in a fast paced environment, and will allow you to make game changing decisions immediately. In the oil and gas industry, Apache is known as a company that expects a lot of its employees, but rewards them for it. The bonus structure is phenomenal compared to other companies in this industry. Perhaps the best part of working for Apache is that it is big enough to participate in large, technologically advanced projects that are cutting edge, but also small enough to be incredibly agile when it comes to moving forward on projects and navigating the often complicated world of oil and gas. At Apache you will see projects moving from start to finish under your watch - that is something my peers at other companies do not often get to experience.

Cons

The main downside at working for Apache is that it demands far more from its employees than other companies. At Apache you are expected to do more as an individual - although team concepts are evolving there are still many times when you will have to work in many diverse fields on one project. At other companies you might have 5-6 people working a project, whereas at Apache you would only have 2-3 for a project of similar scope. This leads to what I see as being the biggest downside of working at Apache as a technical expert. You are often expected to be married to your job. It's not uncommon to have the feeling that you can't take your vacations because of assignments and deadlines, especially if you are determined to be upwardly mobile. The work-life balance can be truly dismal.

Advice to Management

I would suggest that we continue to aggressively pursue growth in new geographic regions - A company trying to grow as fast as Apache really needs to try and re-establish a foothold in Asia and expand operations in existing regions (i.e., expand North Sea region into Scandinavia and Egypt into other Middle Eastern Countries, like what was done with Argentina-Chile). I would also suggest reigning in some operations to the corporate structure, and consider having more centralized accounting, IT, and legal departments. Finally, I would suggest that we better optimize our use of human capital. We have experts in various regions that could make huge impacts in other regions. However, due to how personnel decision are made on a regional level and not a corporate level, people's talents often go to waste

Other Employee Reviews for Apache

1. Accountant

Former Employee - Accountant in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Accountant in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Apache full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Pay and benefits - Social culture with co workers

Cons

- favoritism is rampant in the organization

2. Generally good with good people who treat you with respect.

I have been working at Apache full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people and an entrepreneurial make it happen attitude, Generally good work atmosphere.

Cons

Senior management may have chosen the wrong path for the company in focusing exclusively on shale oil and the company may have tough times ahead with deep expenditure and staff cuts.

Advice to Management

Consider diversification to mitigate risk and try to ensure the survival of the company.